Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: uh-oh i'm in trouble

uh-oh i'm in trouble

As you know I am not a genius at any of this, but when I installed my limited slip rear end it would jump or feel like it caught when turning. I contacted the place where I bought the rear end to ask for help and they told me that you have to add the "additive" to keep it from locking up. I did and it helped immediately. Had to buy the additive from Ford. Again, I am not going to act like I know why, but it works. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Considering most only "top things up" in a rear-end - gear oil may be just that: compatible with as opposed to a replacement for. But who changes their rear-end gear oil - except when replacing the 3rd member?

I've not gone far enough to get to draining and replacing mine yet, but will post more when I've researched more on this. Unless the additive is $100 or something, seems a fail-safe at the very least.

Experience is indicative of the need, so you don't have to be an expert as long as you've experienced it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

What does the green arrow beside this thread signify?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

That it's a gooder thread than all the others!

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Because it was started by a moderator?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Exclamation

I did it by accident when I started this thread.

There's away to put icons next to your post.
    Like a question mark or as I was trying to do an exclamation mark.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Ah... now I'm disappointed.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Have not posted about this in a while, but I've been steady at this "side project" now for about a month or so. It is danged cold out there, so fingers are not moving as fast as I'd like. But so far, here's some of what is done:

1) King-pins are replaced
    2) Front brake lines pulled and replaced along with a new brake distribution block, dual master cylinder, and new wheel cylinders. Still need to do the rear wheel cylinders and then I can install all the new brake parts.
    3) New drums in the front and freshly turned in the back.
    4) New gas tank and sender is installed.
    5) Heater was pulled and restored with new core and felt. They don't make heater box kits for this (everything is riveted together), but that didn't stop me from taking it apart and rebuilding it.
    heater2.jpgheater4.jpg
    6) Pulled all the doors apart and replaced the lift tracks on both door glass, as well as replacing the seals for the vent windows. Need to do some POR15 behind everything before putting in the door glass and belt-line weatherstrip, but will do that as soon as it's warmer. One wing-window pivot broke, so I had to repair that.
    7) Seats (new leather from Pick-n-Pull) have been cleaned and dyed blue.
    seats1.jpg
    8) All the other interior panels have been cleaned and dyed blue. Carpet and headliner included.
    headliner1.jpgheadliner2.jpg
    9) Back glass was pulled and seal replaced.
    10) Air vent doors repaired and latches reworked or remade.
    11) Instrument panel rebuilt.
    dash.jpg
    12) Intermittent wiper system installed.
    wiper5.jpg

All for now. Sorry nothing Falcon related...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

It looks great.

I like the instrument panel. That turned out really nice.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Everything looks amazing, as usual. I see what you are talking about when you say the Instrument Cluster looks like a Falcon Round Body. Must have been the same designer.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

From the back, this is a Falcon pod. Similar most to the dash style I redid for Steve's sedan delivery, which, if you recall, only went to 42 MPH because I added the high-beam in the center and split out the left/right turn signals - and the speedo hit the light tube. This dash suffers from the same single L/R turn signal indicator and I opted to leave it alone right now. May pull it out again and do it later, if it bugs me too much.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Nathan, Updating this mostly for your benefit, but also for my mom who watches for things I'm doing too.

A couple weeks ago I got the truck all put back together out in the carport and was able to start it again and drive it over into the garage... where I proceeded to take it apart again. Things done are wheels/tires, new brakes, lines, hoses, with dual M/C, king pins, shocks, Buick Regal leather seats, seat belts, gas tank, wiring, dash restore, intermittent wipers, heater box rebuilt, air vents reworked, transmission flush and filter, back bumper and 2" receiver, and glass tracks, seals, rubbers and headliner cleaned and all repainted to match.

garage.jpg

Steve powder coated wheels from his Bronco and they are now installed on my truck. They look good! All new wheels and tires.

wheeltire.jpg

I've now been working to detail the engine bay a little. Pulled the grille and upper/lower valance to let me repaint all the black. Just need to clean it up a little and patch a couple very small holes in the core support. I've heard and seen these things rusting out to nothing, so was happy to see it was only minor. Also adding a Duraspark II ignition and rebuilt the power steering (new Red Head box to replace the 30 year old Read Head box that was leaking like a sieve). Other than that it all pretty decent under there. No severe molestation. Steve is about to get my upper and lower valance, batter tray, and valve covers to blast. I found the color code for the Marlin Blue paint, so will redo the upper valance. The lower valance is supposed to be Argent silver and the battery tray and valve covers will be low-gloss black.

detail1.jpg

There was some bad rust on the forward part of the bed. Gene and I (mostly Gene - thank you Gene) cut out the rust to match the big sheets of steel I picked up to fill it all in. And then I started stitching them back in. These beds, like the Ranchero, were designed to fail. Could not see any way they couldn't rust out. Same with the core support, but would have paid to tell owners to flush out the crud.

geneswingin.jpg bedrepair4.jpg

Interior is coming along. 3-point belts are in, just need to punch a hole in the corner headliner pieces to get those back in. Wiring is all reworked, but will be hooking up some tunes once I get back to inside the cab work. Repainted and wrapped the steering wheel in leather dyed the same as the seats. Dash looks good with blue LED's. May do red one's in the Ranchero now!

interior.jpg dash2.jpg

So much fun!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"