Thread: Headlight circuit breaker?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Headlight circuit breaker?

After about 1 hour of running time my 63 Econoline pickup headlights start blinking does this have a circuit breaker (where is it located).
    Olgraybeard

AFAIK there is no circuit breaker, just a fuse on the back of the switch. Is it consistently an hour? What is the frequency of the blink? Here is a shot of the 67 shop manual wiring, I don't think much changed from 63:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

My guess would be a failing switch. If the contacts are getting hot the switch may be thermo-cycling where the contact gets so hot it pulls away, cools, reconnects, gets hot, pulls away, cools, reconnects, so on and so forth.

The switch itself may have a thermal cutout built-in for this heat stress issue. They are not fused (usually) and it may have been their way of keeping the switch from just melting down. Would have to open one up. I have about five or six used '65 switches. May just pry one open and see what's inside one of them. It'll be close to yours in design.

Of course, I don't know any of this for sure. Just 'pothesisizing.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by BPVan View Post
    AFAIK there is no circuit breaker, just a fuse on the back of the switch. Is it consistently an hour? What is the frequency of the blink? Here is a shot of the 67 shop manual wiring, I don't think much changed from 63:
    So the 67 had fuses on it like the 63 Falcon did? Them crazy Ford guys.

These fuses were not to fuse the headlight circuit, for what it's worth. These were taking the juice that was sent to the headlight switch directly from the battery and then fusing it before going to other items; like the turn signals and flashers (as shown in the diagram) or whatever else they fed. The headlight switch feed was not fused as best as I can tell. Lots of wiring in a Falcon is ripe for shorting out. We should all add a fusible link or two under the hood. Hum... sounds like a tech article in the making.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"