Thread: OK 2 things...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow OK 2 things...

#1 - So I took the Sprint out yesterday and she runs fine, starts right up, etc. Runs at normal temp, of course I shut her off and the temp goes way up as expected. Problem is then she becomes hard to start. Curiously it doesn't load up or smoke etc. But takes at least 3 tries to start. Any ideas? Timing, points, carb/choke? SOLVED - It was the battery.

#2 - I've had this happen another time on the same turn. Coming of the main road at 50mph or so I take the road to my house hitting the corner pretty fast. The car seems to die for a few seconds before it regains fuel flow. Is it a carb/float problem or do I just need an electric fuel pump?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 64SprintV8; December 4th, 2011 at 04:03 PM.

In the garage:

1964 Falcon Sprint
    powered by: 289 V8 | C4 | 8" rear 3.89
    http://tinyurl.com/kdl9hq2

1964 Fairlane Sports Coupe "K-Code"
    powered by: 289/271HP V8 | 4-spd | 9" rear 3.89
    http://tinyurl.com/kk3cfqc

Vapor Lock?

I don't know, but...
    I've been having trouble with vapor lock.
    Mine's a six, yours is a V8. Nothing in common...

My problem, I think, is because I have this big voluminous fuel filter right above my "super-trick" aluminum manifold, itself right above the headers. It's a transparent filter, and when it happens you can see the gas boiling in the filter!

Make sure your fuel line isn't too close to something really hot. If you suspect anything, insulate the line. (I used some Dynamat.)

The starving problem on corners sounds like carb. Maybe the float level is too low? Could explain the hot start thing, too.

Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Thanks MacDee. I was having some "vapor lockish" issues and other overheat symptoms this summer when it was hot. The fuel line runs right up the front of the water pump and across the front of the manifold. I wrapped it up with some heat discipation material and the symptoms seemed to go away. Maybe the carb is the issue? I am looking into a new carb an manifold as a performance enhancer so maybe I can kill two birds with 1 purchase.