Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual Master Cylinder Conversion

Never put anything like teflon tape or pipe dope on flared fittings. The seal is made when the nut presses down on the flare. If you look at the female half of the fitting you'll see where the flare seats and makes contact when the nut pushes down on it.

The threads on the nut don't need to be sealed because if fluid is getting past the flare seal, you need to snug it a little tighter or make sure the double flare looks like it's correct.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I think the NPT threads on the brake light switch would need some teflon tape.

Did you get different T fittings than the guys you described? I'm still not clear on the adapter to T connections. Although if may feel like NPT and straight threads screw together... it is not correct.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

A picture is worth 1000 words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Did you get different T fittings than the guys you described? I'm still not clear on the adapter to T connections. Although if may feel like NPT and straight threads screw together... it is not correct.
    Wikipedia says: "National Pipe Thread Taper (NPT) is a U.S. standard for tapered threads used on threaded pipes and fittings. In contrast to straight threads that are found on a bolt, a taper thread will pull tight and therefore make a fluid-tight seal."

Hello, Jeff.

Due to parts availability, I used two different-sized adapters for the master cylinder outlets with male NPT threads and flaired female threads. The fitting on the left goes from a 1/2" hole to a 1/4" brake line. The one on the right goes from a 7/16" hole to a 3/16" brake line.
    2-DCP_4823.JPG

Tee #1 was complicated because it joins two different sized brake lines and the brake-light switch. Tee #1 seems to have three female NPT inlets. The brake-light switch and the two flaired adapters feel like they are screwing in correctly.
    1-DCP_4822.JPG

Here is a side view of the complicated Tee #1. You can see the flaired fitting on the inside of Tee #2 in the background.
    3-DCP_4824.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 28th, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dang it!

Whoops! I just spotted a potential problem.

These are the adapters that screw into the master cylinder inlets.
    1-DCP_4826.JPG

In my previous post I had called them NPT pipe thread fittings. But, .... they screw into holes for flair fittings. The smaller fitting on the left has a dish-shaped end, so it should be good for its flair coupling. The one on the right has a flat end that must be for a pipe thread and it needs to be made for a flair fitting.

UPDATE:
    I got into the Zone, ... Auto Zone.

I replaced both of the couplings that screw into the master cylinder. The new one on the left has a longer shaft ($2.49). The one on the right now has the correct flair fitting on both ends ($1.99).
    1-DCP_4827.JPG

Here are what the new couplings look like:
    2-DCP_4833.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 28th, 2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Update
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

If you do have to use sealant on any of the NPT threads, be careful to not get anything past the end of the nut. You don't want a piece getting into the system. I've heard Permatex Thread Sealant is resistant to brake fluid and may be a better option. The white teflon tape just turns to goo if you get brake fluid on it.

I've just done everything possible to never use sealant on a brake system. I got rid of the pressure light switch by putting a mechanical one on the brake pedal under the dash.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I think that all should work. Let us know if you have problems. Now that you are a Rainier member we can send you any needed fitting. Labor is a bit of a challenge considering your location.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA

E-bay makes things easy.

A final (hopefully) revision:

After further reflection, I decided that it would be better to eliminate the two NPT adapters on the brass tee for the brake light switch and bought an “Allstar Performance 3/16" Inverted Female Tee Brass 3/16 Tube T 1/8 gauge portoff e-bay for $8.49 + free postage. Manufacturer's part number: ALL50137. I hope that this is correct.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/190998743464...84.m1497.l2649
    Allstar 3-16 plus 1-8 NPT Tee.jpg
    angle photo of tee.jpg
    I also bought a “brake line adapter for master cylinder 9/16” 18 thread male X 3/8” 24 female adapter” off e-bay for $6.80 + $3.08 postage, to allow me to run a 3/16” brake line from the large hole on the master cylinder (a 3/16" fitting has 3/8" -24 threads). http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAKE-LINE-ADAPTER-FOR-MASTER-CYLINDER-9-16-18-male-X-3-8-24-female-/231006105707?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item35c909706b&vxp=mtr

BRAKE LINE ADAPTER FOR MASTER CYLINDER 9-16 18 male X 3-8 24 female.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 29th, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Now I feel much better This is a good set -up.

Everyone can (and is allowed) to do their own thing, but less Rube Goldberg is best when it comes to safety.

Be sure to:
    1) use the push rod out of your old master cylinder. It usually takes some muscle to get it out. The new rod is too long.
    2) bench bleed the new MC before installation.

Wikipedia says:
    "Reuben Garrett Lucius "Rube" Goldberg (July 4, 1883 – December 7, 1970) was an American cartoonist, sculptor, author, engineer and inventor. He is best known for a series of popular cartoons depicting complex gadgets that perform simple tasks in indirect, convoluted ways..."
    Last edited by Jeff W; December 29th, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA

Pipe dopes - no pun intended

Noticed the earlier image showing the nut hard-up against the M/C and was going to (prematurely) comment, but decided to read through all the rest. You seem to have it all figured out using the correct adapter fittings.

Having now done about a dozen of these conversions it's so much easier to do than it is to explain. I/we should really do a full-fledged PDF of this step-by-step with detailed pics. The original PDF posted is good, but leaves out a couple important details, like these fittings for one - or the use of 3/16 brake like (which normally comes with the 3/8-24 threads), but adapting them to the two larger nuts. Or options to negate the pressure switch. Real soon now.

And, now, just to clarify fittings and their use... pipe threads are tapered. The teflon or "sealant" are not supposed to act as the seal. The taper provides this. The issue is keeping friction low so you can force the two threads together until they self-seal before they gall (the melting, of sorts, of similar materials by heat or friction). On some materials, like stainless, these similar materials will gall very quickly without a sealant with Teflon, and in some cases still will to some degree. So the use of a Loctite-based Teflon sealer will cure and harden in the absence of air and minimize leaks. Usually the use of sealant, as a sealant, is deemed necessary when the male and female parts have worn or expanded beyond their wear limit - with mixed results.

Teflon tape, if used, needs to begin up about one thread from the end of the male threaded end to keep it out of the system. But great care needs to be given if Teflon tape has been used before. Every strand of it needs to be removed, since even though it is used correctly the first time, the second use of the threaded parts will work these strands forward and inward - towards the flow of fluid - and into the working bits.

Inverted flares need no sealant, as Kenny indicated. The flare (male against female) cause the seal. One issue I have seen when using these large nuts but with 3/16" line size is that the male part (like that inside the M/C) is assuming the larger tubing flare, not the 3/16" size flare. I had one install where I could not get a good seal. So - just putting this out there that it "may be" better to use the adapter fittings as opposed to the large nuts with 3/16" holes. Depends on the machining of the flare inside the M/C.

Since flare fittings don't expand with use, like pipe-thread fittings do, they are a positive seal every time you loosen and tighten them.

So that's all I got to say about that. Happy braking!

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"