Thread: Where can I get a clutch rebuilt?

Where can I get a clutch rebuilt?

One of my 1964 Ford Falcons has a Ford Maverick inline six cylinder 200 ci motor mated to a 3 speed toploader trans. The local O'Reilly's tells me they cannot get a clutch for this car, and I've tried a few shops over the years, nor could they get a clutch for this set up.

I checked last night, I figured by now SOMEBODY who runs a vintage Mustang parts supply is selling this clutch, and I found one, but they wanted some $375 for the whole package, and since I never know where anything is manufactured anymore, I believe I'd like to have my clutch and pressure plate rebuilt instead of paying nearly 400 clams for a mystery clutch.

I've been told there is nothing wrong with a rebuilt clutch, so that's going to be my course of action (unless somebody has a Ford 250 inline six with flywheel for a manual trans for sale).

So here's my question, who can I trust to rebuild this clutch and do it right? Can anyone recommend a rebuilder that they have had good experience with?

Thanks

Falcon parts dot com

Somewhere around $150 plus shipping. Not sure it includes the pilot bearing.

If your 200 has the non dished flywheel. Go to O'Reilly s and ask for a 1980 fairmont clutch kit. The pressure plate will be diaphragm style not the three lever but it should work.

Best of luck
    nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Thanks Nathan, but I have the big transmission in my Falcon, the toploader 3 speed which is the big bell housing set up from a Maverick, as opposed to the original '64 peanut trans, the Dagenheim 3 speed, so the Falconparts clutch will not work in my car.

I found a clutch rebuild shop a few years ago but long since lost the name and number, yeah, the car has been sitting that long. I'm sure I'll find another but before I do I thought maybe somebody here has already been to a shop and can recommend their work as being quality work. Thanks again Nathan.

O'Reilly s doesnt have a clutch for the maverick?

Im assuming you are ysing the matching flywheel from the maverick.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

try 78 Fairmont. Its a 9" clutch with a 1 1/16" input shaft.

O'Reilly's part number K0016-01 product line ptq.

In stock in my local stores so the Puyallup warehouse should have one.
    $134.95 here on the right side of the state.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

When I went in to O'Reilly's I asked for a clutch for a 1970 Maverick 200 ci six cylinder mated to a 3 speed toploader, as I was told this was the donor car when I bought the motor and trans combo. O'Reilly's could not find any clutch for it, I tried a few times, no luck.

I did find the clutch for this combo at Autokrafters, they wanted $375 for it. I'm sure I can do better. For that money I think it would be best to find a 250 ci Ford and use that, clutches etc. are easy to find for this combo.

I will try your suggestion for the Ford Fairmont if all else fails. Thanks for the suggestion (Which also reminds me how much I want a Fairmont, I really like 'em! Makes sense though doesn't it, the Fairmont is really a more modern Falcon...)

You need to look at measurements not applications.

Ok the maverick 200 uses a 9" clutch.
    The three speed top loader input shaft diameter is ???
    I'm guessing it 1 1/6" because that is a common input shaft size.

So if those numbers match what you have, you should have a clutch set that works.

I'm only aware of 2 clutch sizes used on the 200.. 8.5" and 9" since you are using the big bell and top loader in theory should have the 9" clutch disc.

So if the $140 clutch set works I want the $200 I saved you by not switching to geiko
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Okay, that makes sense. First order of biz for me then is to remove the clutch and so the requisite measurements can be determined, and if O'Reilly's can get the clutch, p. plate, and bearing I need, that would be wonderful.

Rebuilding the clutch would have cost about $150 so there won't be any savings achieved through buying the clutch at O'Reilly's but if I win big in the lotto you get your $200 and dinner at one of those Falcon meets I've always been too lame to attend!

You might want to check rock auto too.

They list a clutch kit for the Fairmont at $89. But I'd order the Sachs kit at $125 if shipping isn't too bad.

A 70's maverick used a 9" clutch with a 10 tooth input shaft of 1 1/16.
    A 78 Fairmont uses the same dimensions.

The only problem I have is I don't know what flywheel you are using.

If you are using the 8.5" stepped fly wheel then things get a little more difficult.

I'm betting who ever swapped the trans swapped flywheels too.

Never mind. I betting your whole set up is from a maverick..

When looking for parts I wouldn't even tell the counter jockeys its a 64 falcon. Just tell them what year maverick your parts are from.
    Last edited by Nathan289; June 19th, 2014 at 10:59 AM.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Update: I tried one more time today, I instead asked for a clutch for a 1971 Ford Mustang with a 200 ci motor and 3 spd trans, they had the clutch.

I then asked if it was made in the USA, the answer came back that it was made in China.

So... I've decided I'm going to go ahead and have my own clutch rebuilt, for that matter I'm going to be very skeptical of ANY NEW PARTS I buy from here on out.

I've had lots of experience with Chinese made stuff, always bad. The only exception is Chinese built scale models, like this Ertl Model T in 1:18 scale, the quality is fantastic.