Thread: My Emergency Gas Cap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Emergency Gas Cap

On the way to work this morning, I stopped to put gas in the car. The gas cap turned but would not come off. I pulled on it, and the gas cap came off, but I heard a “tink” as the center screw from the gas cap fell into the the gas tank. Darn it!

IMG_0264.jpg

I filled the car with 5.0 gallons so that there would not be too much sloshing around and drove to work. I used the gas cap as a template and cut a circle from a plastic coffee can lid to use as an emergency cover for the gas fill spout. I cut tabs in the disc to match those on the gas cap and aligned them with the notches on the fill spout. When I turned the disc clockwise the tabs locked it in place.

IMG_0257 (3).jpg

I was impressed that it worked so well.

Does the center of the gas cap require a special screw?
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 3rd, 2017 at 04:03 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis, I'd guess it is a short (~3/8-1/2" long) 10-24 or 10-32 screw. Cap in hand haul it into you local hardware store and figure out the thread with any length, then when you know the thread you can get the right length.

You might consider the gas fill relocation many do. I see the tell-tale paint staining in that picture from gas spill-over.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"