Thread: Engine Questions

oldford63 Guest

Smile Engine Questions

Hello to everyone,

It has been a while sinse I have logged onto the site, been very busy. I have completed my new shop in the back yard, made a work bench, some shelves, and moved the Falcon in. I plan to pull the engine in a few weeks. I have a 170 that is running well but would like to have a little more power to run an air conditioning unit. I got a 200 head out of a 1978 Fairlane that turned out to be a 1977. I would like to use that head in my rebuild if I can. I would also like to include a Comp Cam kit made for the 200 in my rebuild. I called an engine shop here in Albuquerque and they told me all of my ideas wouldn't work and that I should just put a new 200 engine in my car.

I need some advice and some knowledge to help me go forward. My car is all original and I would like to keep my 170 if I could.

How should I proceed? Any and all comments are welcome.
    Guy

Hi Guy,

Good to see someone wanting to keep their six! That head should work. I don't really think the mechanic was interested or knowledgeable about this particular engine. I don't know enough about the cam kit to comment but the first thing I would do is get "The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook" if you don't have it already. Best $18.45 you will spend. Here's a link:

http://falconperformance.sundog.net/

Also, not to drive you away from our forum but, If you haven't joined the Ford Six Forum yet you should. There's a lot of really good info archived there already and lots of knowledgeable people too.

http://fordsix.com/forum/

Hope that helps for now!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

oldford63 Guest

Smile

Kenny,

Thanks for you responce. I do have the Ford Falcon 6 Handbook.

It seems October first is the best time to join for me sense it is just a couple of weeks from now. It says I must be a member of the FCA to join Rainer Falcons. When I clicked on the link 'website' on your join page their site does not come up.

I will list the specs on the Comp Cam Kit 260H I am looking at and maybe someone could tell me if it will work with what I am trying to do with my engine.

Valve Lift Int. & Exh. is 440
    Duration Int. & Exh. is 260 degrees
    Duration at .050 Int. & Exh. is 212
    Lobe Centerline is 110

Thanks,
    Guy

The correct link for the FCA is http://www.falconclub.com/

Thanks for pointing that out!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Hi Guy,

As you probably have read in the Ford six book, the later head is lower compression so you will need to do a fair amount of milling to make up for the compression loss on your 170 as the 200 has larger combustion chambers. Read, measure, read more, re-measure, calculate, and then do it all again!
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch