Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Sadly, I went out last night to start it and "ramp test it" and couldn't get it to go into any gears. Seems the clutch doesn't disengage enough to go into gear. And these things will not even let you grind gears - though I could somewhat trying reverse. There must be some lock-out in these to prevent you from doing that.

I may need to adjust the clutch some, but I'm not all up on these new-fangled clutch systems where I read the throw-out bearing is supposed to be engaged and pre-loaded all the time. And if so, how much? Anybody out there been down this road already?

I may still have some air in the system too. The bleeder is at the bottom of my setup, which was my bad. Something I should have known better for. Looking at Rock-Auto and then ordering isn't always a perfect science. Anyway, going to make a tool to block-off the plunger (it can't move at all while bleeding the clutch slave) and do another round of bleeding... and study this clutch pre-load thing. I just hope the setup I built from Rock Auto parts has enough throw - period. That would be a bummer.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Had to make a longer clutch slave push-rod to give me more adjustment, which also allowed me to file a flat on the end of it to slip a wrench over to hold the rod in place while adjusting the two nuts. Was able to adjust it to go into gear, shift, stall, reverse. All good there now.

So, now I get to play musical cars, probably Friday. As any of you know who've been at my place - gotta do as much testing in the garage as I can. Once I'm down the hill, there's no easy getting it back up the hill.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Yeah, your driveway is not a place to test it. Your information about the preload on the throw out bearing is interesting. I am not sure I have mine set up correctly. It doesn't want to shift into gears without a little grinding. I will investigate to see if I need to adjust that preload into it. Let me know if there is some way I can help. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry,

This adjustment and the required travel is very elusive. Factory cars with cable clutches are all self adjusting from what I can see - probably some foot poundage needs to be seen or something to adjust these. So any discussion I found was on how these work. But I have searched and searched and as much speculation as there is questions if you have an external slave. Lots of people do it with a variety of OEM style parts and expensive aftermarket parts - but even MDL seems to simply go as far as advertise what they offer, but then don't elaborate on any of the actual adjustment - at least on their site. I'm sure I could email Paul at MDL and get some answers, which I may do.

After spending more time last night searching on-line I began to doubt what I've done, even. Travel of the cable or mc/slave (or lack thereof) can contribute adjustment issues too. A few places say you have to have 1.25-1.5" of travel. Not sure what I have, so am going to measure it.

You have the cable designed for this application (as opposed to my "try to do it on the cheap with OEM parts"), so as much as I did find would suggest you have to have a preload on these bearings if you have the pressure plate with lots of fingers. Apparently the bearings are designed for and can handle this constant rotation. The 3-finger pressure plates of old required a gap between the TOB and the fingers.

But yeah, not being on "much" level surface to test this out - or anything I've ever done while living here - has always caused me to constantly second-guess just about ever thing I do.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

No test driving yet.

I needed to do a lot more clean-up of my pathway out of my garage (amazing how much can collect in 4 months), which also caused me to start second-guessing myself. I've been reading where folks say I need between 1.25 and 1.5" of clutch-arm travel to fully disengage the clutch. So when I measured I have about a half-inch. I know I should have a lot more even with the parts I used, but makes me think I have still some air trapped in there. I simply adjusted it to the point I could get the clutch to release, but it may not be fully engaging - even though I was able to stall the motor.

So... I went back to Rock Auto and noticed I can get the same slave I got for a Mazda MPV, but with the bleeder on the top (4WD version). So I've got that coming as well as another of the same M/C. At only $20 for the pair I want to do some more specific measuring with all this new information I have and see what the actual strokes are on these parts.

Looking more like a spring test drive to me all the time.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Happy New Year! It's been cold here so far, and I did a lot of traveling during the holiday, but I did get out there are fabricate a lever to make my too-short-stroke clutch slave into one that will do the job just fine. Works great. I opted to make a video of it and upload it if anyone cares to look at what I did. And yes, I cut-up a wrench to do it.

https://youtu.be/q_ymbmNuGqY

After staring at things some more last night and pondering why some of my header clearances are tighter now, and things seem to be be more forward now, I think it's because of my transmission mount, which I modified from the C4 to use on the T5. I think I need to remove it and elongate the holes another 1/2" and move everything back that much. I have room on the drive-shaft to do so and will need to modify a little of the floor opening, but it's too cold to drive it. Might as well.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

That's not the special Drop Forged 19mm combination wrench I lent you is it?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Beautiful work as usual Roger. Jeff will forgive you if it works. Happy New Year and can't wait to get rid of this cold weather. I have a heated new garage and still don't want to go out there. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Know the feeling as our highs this week are supposed to be in the mid-teens. Been turning on the heaters (two of them) when I get home lately so I can start on my winter projects. I've put it off too long already and spring is around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    That's not the special Drop Forged 19mm combination wrench I lent you is it?
    Naw - it was the 19mm and 17mm double open-end wrench you loaned me. I can give you the 17mm part back if you want it. It has a hole drilled in it though. Drilling the wrench was fun. Thankfully my tool-shop coworker had a special bit to cut that.

Temp in the garage is kept just between 45 and 55 this time of the year using just a small portable radiant oil filled heater. Garage walls are insulated, but never got it up to the roof like I wanted to someday. It's cold for sure, but as I see it this makes me work faster.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"