Thread: Chrysler Falcon concept car

Chrysler Falcon concept car

Well, bird lovers, it look's like Ford did not build the first Falcon! I have one of those desk calendars that you tear off every day, and yesterday this one came up. In a way it doesen't really count as a "real" falcon but I thought it was kind of ineresting.

http://www.valiant.org/falcon.html
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Falcon Name

I was doing some research on the Falcon Name and came up with the following:

The Falcon name was used on early design models for the new-sized Ford, but it was not officially designated the Falcon until 1958. Ford hired an advertising agency to search names for their new compact. A list of bird names was searched and Falcon was declared the winner. There are different stories about how Ford acquired the right to use the Falcon name.

One version is that Chrysler had rights to the name because it had been used on a 1955 experimental sports car. Henry Ford II apparently telephoned Chrysler management and acquired the right to use the Falcon name. Another version is that Chrysler and Ford were unaware that each company was considering the Falcon name. Both companies independently settled on the name, but the Ford Company registered the name 20 minutes before Chrysler. Whether Chrysler would have ever used the Falcon name is unknown.

I could not locate a photo of the Chrysler "Falcon"...but here it is---thanks!

I wrote a short article on the development of the Falcon name and spinoffs from it. I'll send it to the newsletter editor.

We sure miss Kenny Likins down here in Santa Rosa as he was an excellent Editor for the Sonoma Falcons Chapter...not to mention a great club member.

Al Aiello
    Santa Rosa, CA

I couldn't find a blushing smilie...

Thanks Al. Glad to see you on the forum! Tell John G. if you guys want to start a forum for the SCFF we can help out with getting the software running. It was pretty easy (or Pat made it seem that way). It takes a little getting used to but I like it.

Say Hi to the Gang down there for me.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Thanks Kenny...and Introduction

Thanks for the welcome and offer...I think this site is great!

In way of an intro, I should say a few things about my Falcons. When Kenny was down in these parts, we had a 64 Futura Convertible, and a 62 Sports Futura that were driven on a regular basis. Those cars have since been sold and found new owners. The Futura Convertible is now in the great northwest.

I now have a 65 Two Door Wagon that is a daily driver...it was a one owner car...and a 65 Sprint Convertible (original with 4 speed) that is still awaiting restoration (time and money). I've posted some photos of all the Falcons. The acquisition of the Sprint Convertible is a long story and was purchased from a dear friend...it had been sitting for about 8 years in a garage...but with a bit of fresh gas it started right up!

Al Aiello
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Futura; November 27th, 2006 at 08:33 PM.

Hi Al,

Thanks for posting- it's nice to know we are reaching the masses! Nice find on the '65 Sprint- you're a lucky guy. I have been after a '65 sprint 4spd convert (red ext/black bucket int)since '83- and yes, it's a long story too. They seem to be coming out of the woodwork- maybe this is my sign.

I'd be interested in knowing the build date of your car, and if it has the sprint steering wheel and chromed valve covers or the standard stuff. I've seen two '65 sprints this past summer that were outfitted differently. My assumption is that the cars built early in the production year (the one I'm after was sold locally in Sept. '64) had more of the goodies, and as mustangs took over the market the later sprints were more like the futuras. Thanks for the info on the falcon name!
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

1965 Falcon Sprints

Hey Thor,

I was not really looking too hard for the 65 Sprint Convertible, but then one day it just happened...so hang in there. They are a limited quantity you know...with only 300 converts and 2,806 hardtops in the Futura SPRINT versions that year.

I don't have the data plate info handy...but it's a fairly early car. I've owned two original sprints (the other was a honey gold hardtop) and both of them were identical to their Futura V-8 counterparts with bucket seats...the only differences being the badges on the fenders and and on the interior doors...and perhaps the center console. They both had gold valve covers and gold snorkel style air cleaners...no faux wood steering wheel, sprint horn ring, or sprint tachometer. The series no. in the VINs are same as the Futuras...but the data plate on the door has a different model code for the Sprint.

Sure a lot of hoopla for a couple of emblems! That's not to say that there are other variants out there as Ford was inconsistent on a lot of things back then.

Al

Naming of the Falcon

I recently wrote a short article for our Sonoma Chapter newsletter regarding the naming of the Falcon. It's posted on the web at:

http://westcoastfalcons.com/scff/histriv/namegame.pdf