Thread: I found the leak points.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I found the leak points.

After I bought my car I found that the left and right front floors got wet when the car was rained on. I replace all the old rotten door gaskets with a set of new gaskets made specifically for a Falcon Hardtop. When I washed the car I was disappointed to find that the car still leaked. The next time I washed the car I put duct tape over all the window seams. The car still leaked. I got a magnetic cowl cover. The car still leaked. Where was the water coming from?

Today, I tried watching from underneath while my wife poured a cup of water onto the drip rail. While pouring water at one location, it looked like water was leaking down and coming out through the edge of the ceiling on the forward inboard side of the roof rail window seal. The water then ran down the inside of the windshield post trim and dripped out to run along the inside front edge of the door gasket to the floor. I tightly stuffed two rolled up pieces of Saran wrap into the right and left drip rails about two inches back from the windshield and above the leak point (see photo) and then washed the car.

1-DCP_5084.jpg

Success! The amount of water leaking into the car from both the right and left sided looked like it was reduced by 95%. Why is it leaking there on both sides of the car? I have no idea. Maybe there are two rail pieces that form a joint at that curve point and they were originally sealed with body putty that has long since dried out (my theory). I will squirt some black silicone caulk into the roof rail at those two spots that should seal the leaks.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 13th, 2014 at 02:30 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)