Thread: New Rear Shocks!

New Rear Shocks!

I had not gotten around to replacing the shocks on my car since I bought it two years ago.

Differential.jpg

The old shocks were Mopar brand and I guessed that they were maybe twenty years old.
    But, I couldn't tell that the shocks were causing a problem so replacing them was a low priority.

Underside & Transmission 6 26 13 013.jpg

I finally bought a set of new shocks and started to put them in yesterday. I wanted to put them in from the trunk and avoid pulling the back seat, but I couldn't find where the top bolt of the shock came up through the floor of the car. This morning a I removed the back seat, and pulled out the cardboard piece behind the seat, and finally found the shock top. It was covered with a rubber pad and that was why I could not find it when I was looking for a bolt sticking up.

Shock top with cover removed.jpg

*I'm missing the right-side shock top cover pad. Does anyone know where I can get one?*
    UPDATE: Well, I'll be darned. Falcon Parts sells them for $1.25.
    See: http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...LUGS-68p86.htm

I saw this tag on behind the rear seat back rest. I wonder what the codes mean. I weighed the rear seat pieces and found that the lower cushion weighs 20.6 lbs and the back rest weighs 22.4 lbs.

Tag behind rear seat back rest.jpg

The old left side shock came out easy. The right side piece fought me to the last turn of the nut while trying to get it off. Mechanics really do earn their money. After taking the old shocks out, I saw that they were completely dead with no internal gas pressure. The new black shock is extended with its internal pressure. The old shocks haven't been doing anything! I've effectively been driving without shocks for the past two years.

The old shocks did not have any gas charge.jpg

I took the car out for a victory lap and the rear end seemed much more ... stable. There is less movement and the ride is more solid. Cool!

My next project will be to re-do the front end, including new front shocks.

The KYB GR2 / Excel-G shocks cost $24.79/ea. for the front and $17.81/ea. for the rear from Rock Auto. “This gas shock improves handling without sacrificing ride comfort. A very good choice for the daily driver wanting a smooth ride with the response of a gas shock." “These shock absorbers are a new design from the experts at KYB. As the latest introduction from KYB, the GR-2 gas shocks offer the best possible combination of ride and performance for vintage cars.” “Ride Comfort is important, but restoring a vehicle's Ride Control; stability, stopping, lane change responsiveness and handling is critical."
    Last edited by ew1usnr; August 11th, 2014 at 02:54 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)