Thread: mathmatical headache

mathmatical headache

This is all on main bearings in a 200. clearance specs are between .0008-.0015. I checked with plastiguage and got .002..seems to be just outside the max.. I didn't want to spend the money on turning the crank on this one, so i'm thinking a set of .001 undersize should close the gap enough..from what i understand the standard bearings are no longer made and the most common are the .010 undersize, which would mean having the thing turned. anyone else try this budget fix? or am I stuck with the extra step?

Which bearings are you using to get the .002 reading? Standard? .001 undersize would close your gap even more.

You should check the clearance with a set of micrometers if you can barrow or rent them.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I just bought a set of std bearings last fall. I think most of the gap is in the bearing and you may be way tight if you assume its the crank journal. I'd run it as-is and use a good oil. New pump too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"