Thread: Transmission Question???

Transmission Question???

I just picked up a stock 6cyl 3 speed trans from Roger (thanks again) got it home and compared it to the one in the Ranchero, and they are different?? I am confused. I know the one I just picked up is the correct one, so what is in my Ranchero? Did they make a different 3 speed for these cars? The one in the Ranchero now has a cover on the top that has 10 bolts holding it on and is about 2 inches longer that the replacement one. I haven't pulled it back out yet or I would attach a picture. Also looks like the slip yoke for the driveshaft is larger than the stock one. Any one have any advise??
    I will try to get it out this weekend and put up some pics. Thanks Steve H.

I don't know much about standard shift trannies but I've heard the term "toploader" used in Falcons. Is that maybe what it is??

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

The 3.03 geared 3spd trans (aka 3spd toploader) has a top cover with 9 bolts IIRC.. which is a much bigger trans and wasn't used in the falcon untill 1964.. the early 3.03 were still non syncro.

It could be your trans is the bigger 3sp toploader from something else.. If you could find some casting numbers on the case we could help you ID it..

Or try David KEE the toploader guru.. he has an id chart on his website..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Steve,

If it's a 3-speed behind a 6 cyl, it's likely a 3.03 instead of the 2.77 I gave you. The 3.03 was introduced in '67. The numbers 2.77 and 3.03 are the spacings between the input shaft and the countershaft. I don't think the 3.03 was ever non-synchronized though (I debated using one before I re-engineered my Dagenham 4-speed.)

I've dug out the Schjeldahl 6cyl Bible (I use that term lightly, as I've found a few errors in it over the years... amen) and the 2.77 has only 4-bolt top and the 3.03 is 9 bolts. So that should be easy to check.

If it's not going to work for you, sorry you made the trip over here to get it. Perhaps somebody over in that neck of the woods can use it. Please don't bring it back....

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"