Thread: Tow? with a 64 Ranchero?

Tow? with a 64 Ranchero?

64 ranchero, 200cid with 3spd and original 9" drums on all fours. I would like to tow my little trailer, it will be close to 300lbs tongue wt and a max of 1.000 lbs total. it's looking kind of iffy to me, has anyone tried to tow with this combo? I don't want to put the money into the truck to beef it up for towing. if it's going to be a big dog and pony show to get it tow ready then i'll just send it off to the next guy to restore or use. and look for another vehicle. I like the little ranchero but i'm not too attached. any thoughts?

It depends on what your load is going to be. Getting 1000 pounds moving on a flat is not the same as doing so up a mountain pass. I'd have no concerns if it was around town to a car show with either of mine, but would I want to go to Eastern Washington towing something, maybe not. If it were an automatic and in good shape elsewhere (even 9" brakes are fine, if in good shape), I'd be less concerned, but these little 8.5" clutches are barely enough to move the cars under not too much load.

Those are my thoughts.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"