Thread: Another elusive part

Another elusive part

For those of you that wish to do a 4 speed conversion you need to know that you just dont go out and buy a 4 speed transmission and bolt it in the car. You need to have the correct tail housing on the transmission to put the shifter in the correct spot in the transmission tunnel. Sounds simple enough until you go to find one.

Well after extensive searching craigslist and ebay for a 2 months I finally called Dan Williams toploader and purchased one from him you have your choice of a cast or an aluminum tail housing for $300.00 or $350.00 but wait it gets even more interesting then you need the correct install kit and they quit making them years ago, well he just happens to have them also so tack another $150.00 on. Shifter part is easy you can buy them new everywhere.

Good part is he will give me a good size chunk of it back when I send him my tail housing.

David Kee toploaders also has the tailshaft housings and linkage and install kit

Sometimes I wonder if I should have just stuck with an auto but is fun

Next I will tell you how much fun it is to try and put in the clutch pedal assembly out of a 66 Mustang in a 64 Falcon wagon. I know this place could use a little humor

I think my conversion was easier than yours. I went from a 3-speed (column) to a 4-speed and I used a T-10 instead of the top-loader. I know this is not as desirable a transmission as the top-loader, but it's advantage was that the shifter (I used the Hurst comp+) was in the proper location to use the original Ford hump. Just had to get the drive-shaft rebuilt to fill the space back to the rear-end. All is fine now, after some teething problems.

However, the humor is upcoming (NOT)..... I need to rebuild the pedals as they are snapping and crunching and groaning. I advise replacing all bushings, etc ahead of time if you are using the Z-bar. This is my oncoming winter project.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Yes I was planning on replacing the bushings, not hard to do when it is out of the car I imagine in a Ranchero it would be really fun even with the seat taken out. I rebuilt the Mustang set up so I can just take the bushings out of it but I think I will just order another set and sell the Mustang stuff maybe I will even upgrade and get the roller bearing set up

I would have put a T10 in if that was the tranny that was in the Mustang donor car, they may not be the first choice of transmission but are adequate for a daily driver

I hate doing anything that has to do with being under the dash as my back isnt as young as it used to be.

Yup. We're on the same page. I'm not looking forward to the under-dash time either. I too, am not as flexible as I used to be. Pretty sure I'm going with the roller bearing stuff too. I'll be pulling both seats and even building a small platform so I don't have to lay on the center hump or the un-smooth floor. I just hope I don't get myself all twisted up and find that I can't get out! Anyway..... we'll both be having fun, right?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs