Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Saving Granddad's Falcon

It all depends on what the installer is going to do. Are the rear window and windshield still in the car. Is he going to remove/reinstall those. If those are not in the car now, then I would say 8 hours for a professional is quite a bit more than needed.

After I did mine myself (a bit difficult the first time) I found a friend who had his Chevy Nova done for $145 and it was a great job. But he didn't have to remove glass.

More info needed to make a good response. But, check around.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

8 hours for a DIY'er maybe, but not for a professional and with the glass out as yours is. Or maybe if he was making it from scratch too.

But it should take about 20 minutes to insert the bows and get them into place. Maybe another 20 to glue the rear section into the back, then another 20 for the front (we've spent an hour so far). The sides and the windless another hour, maybe. A little steaming and heating to take out the wrinkles... sounds like $145-$200 to me as well.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Right...as you can see the car has the windows out already, and someone else would put them back in. The headliner is made for the falcon- one of the standard ones that Jake sells from original falcon interiors.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I saw on an episode of some TV show recently where a guy was installing the headliner in a Chev Wagon and was lamenting that it took him 3 days to get it in and all the wrinkles out. Show car though and custom all the way. So would not use this as a comparison, but this might be the mind-set of this guy.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

This is from my Build Thread on the Wagon:

"It took us about five hours including prep, looking for missing parts, lunch and breaks for fresh air and to check up on Brian's engine install (two houses away).

No reservations, just go for it. A large heated garage would have cut the time down to three hours. A Ranchero would take about 15 minutes. I don't know who started the "hire a professional" rumor... probably the professionals"

More here:
    http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...?t=1470&page=3

Also the wind lace was a fast job, maybe 20 minutes including figuring out how it goes on. Double that since you have 4 doors.
    Last edited by Jeff W; March 12th, 2015 at 10:43 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

WAY out of control! My upholstery guy custom made my headliner and installed it in about five hours. He had my old one for a pattern but still!?!
    You have a pre-made ready to install one, no glass and no interior. Should be about a two hour job max if the guy knows what he is doing.
    Jeff get over there and handle that for him!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Yea...some decisions to make.
    Remember the car is in Spokane, I have to tow it back home at some point which I had planned to do on the $50 open trailer rental. I had certainly hoped to do that with the headliner and the front and rear windows installed....otherwise I'll need an enclosed trailer because I don't think any plastic taped in those big holes will stay for six hours on i90. Feeling a bit stuck...Tech day at Phil's place?
    Unfortunately I'm about to be out on work or vacation for like the next 7 weekends.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Since I don't do upholstery, I rely on referrals from people I respect. This shop was one of two I was referred to, the other being the most expensive shop in town which I didn't even bother asking for a quote.

I've agreed to do Don's upholstery work myself. Sure hope it goes smoothly and I haven't bit off more than I can chew. Time will tell.
    Phil

Thumbs up

Phil, you are a talented and patient guy. You will be awesome!

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Agree! And....after reading your thread about the seats again Jeff, it's given me more confidence on finishing the seats myself too.
    Just dropped a bunch of stuff off with Phil. This falcon is going to be awesome.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Kenny...found the perfect accessory...even the wheels match!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/like/161091667...ectorid=229466
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

That's probably about all my 6-cyclinder and stock suspension could handle! They do look good together!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

3-bladed fan?

Hello, Don.

Does your ThriftfPower 144 have the three-bladed fan?

1-DCP_0058.jpg

Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 15th, 2015 at 05:01 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Mine is the four blade fan...attached is a nice picture of it from the front with the radiator out. Today....it looks totally different since Steve powder coated it. Looks better than new.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Hello, Don.

Does your ThriftfPower 144 have the three-bladed fan?

1-DCP_0058.jpg

Dennis.
    Dennis - not sure what motor that is... but it's not a 144. Log and carb is on the driver side as is the generator. I've not seen a 3-blade fan on any Falcon myself. The motor sort of reminds me of my old 223 6 in my '56 F100.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; March 16th, 2015 at 08:35 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"