Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Out for a spin.

Largest Orange Grove

OK, my bar for cool is pretty low, but I thought this was cool. I work in the town of Temple Terrace, FL. I picked up a co-worker that was having car problems and saw this historical marker that says that in 1921 Temple Terrace had the World's Largest orange grove. Everything went great until there was a freeze in 1927 and a Great Depression in 1929. My little Falcon continues to run magnificently.

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 4th, 2018 at 05:10 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Out for a spin

Cool, thanks for sharing. The town I grew up in was Haysville Kansas. While I was a kid, it was called the Peach Capital of the World. There were thousands of trees in huge orchards. I worked at one when I was in my early teens.
    If you go to Haysville now, I don't think you would find a single peach tree.
    It is believed that the oil companies pumped salt water underground to extract more oil which killed off all the peach trees along with thousands of the huge elm trees in that area.
    I used to go out in the summer, sit in those peach trees and eat them all day. Wonderful memories. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Dennis - these days I think all of our cool bars are low.

Is that a vintage or reproduction bumper sticker? Was it on the car when you got it?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

25,000 miles!

Wow! I have now put over 25,000 miles on The Wonder Falcon! That has averaged at about 5,000 a year. The car runs marvelously and is super fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Is that a vintage or reproduction bumper sticker? Was it on the car when you got it?
    Hello, Roger. It is a magnetic reproduction. I save images of bumper stickers from the internet and then upload them at buildasign.com . The stickers give people that are sitting behind me in traffic something to look at. I have a collection of period stickers and alternate them. Here are a few:

Viet Nam Cropped.jpg

LBJ Johnson Humphrey.jpg

Nixon's the one.jpg

Racing Into The Future (2).jpg

Ford sock it em multiple.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 16th, 2018 at 03:41 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

You travel stories are very inspiring.

Very cool Dennis
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

The rain stopped.

It rained almost every day this past May and we received eleven inches for the month. I don't like driving The Wonder Falcon in the rain, so it sat in the garage the whole time. The weather forecast gave only a 20% chance of rain today, so I drove it to work this morning. The car ran perfectly and it felt so good to be sitting behind my big steering wheel again.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Plant City Strawberry Classic Cruise In

We had a good time at the Strawberry Classic. When we left the house, we heard an alarming rattle from the front right wheel. I found that the wheel bearing cap had fell out and was banging around behind the wheel cover. I tapped the cap back in place with a rubber mallet. My wife Francine was concerned and asked "Are you sure that it is fixed? How sure?" I said "100%". We live in Tampa and Plant City is about 35 miles east of us. We arrived in Plant City at about 3:30 with no further issues. It was HOT, though. The Wonder Falcon does not have air conditioning and Francine looked like a steamed clam. There were several nice Corvairs at the show, a neat old VW van with a windshield that could be opened, and an incredible replica of the race car "Lightning McQueen" from the Disney movie "Cars". "Cars" is one of my favorite movies. It is right up there with another Disney movie "Lilo and Stitch".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ew1usnr; August 19th, 2018 at 01:45 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Must be hard to see out of the windows of Lightning McQueen car. Do they just trailer it around or is that stuff removable?

Disney knows their cars. When we went to Orlando in April I saw Goofy had a pretty nice ride...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)