Thread: The work begins on the 64 2 door wagon

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The work begins on the 64 2 door wagon

Picked up this wagon the 1st of September and the 66 Mustang parts car 289 4 barrel toploader 4 speed car.

First thing I had to do was get the Mustang stripped and out of the work area, it is a good running car but was very rusty, even the frame had issues. Engine had 80,000 on it but had been warmed up with a cam at least, not going to tear it down until it needs it.

Wagon has already had body work done and in primer but the car was completely tore down, I have parted many cars out and left more on them then this car had on it, but the good news is I say that 90% of the parts are in totes that came with the car and close to $1,000 of new parts and a bunch of powder coated parts. Very rust free car as it lived in the Yakima area.

The car has Global Performance tubular upper and lower control arms and the Shelby drop done to it. It also has the Scarebird disc brake setup in the front using the Ranger rotors and came with the Crown Vic disc brakes set up for the rear but not installed.

My desire is to put the 289 with the 4 speed in it, probably not too many wagons with 4 speeds. I have changed to a clutch brake pedal assembly (btw) Mustang stuff doesnt work, it probably would but the angles from pedal to equalizer bar would be slightly different. I could have used the equalizer bar from Mustang but opted for Falcon stuff instead.

I changed out the steering column from the Falcon and used the Mustang column, had to trim the tube about 2 1/2" and wiring is a little different but have diagram for both wiring and they are very similar.

Started in the engine compartment and took it down to bare metal then gave it a coat of etching primer then primer the some black paint, looks a lot nicer.

Anyhow to not bore you with all the little details I will post a couple pics and will try to keep it updated, I know everybody loves pics. I get carried away sometimes and forget but this is the first time I have every gone this deep into a project and thought it would be nice to keep track.
    Attached Images Attached Images