Thread: Brackets for one wire gen. to alternator conversion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Brackets for one wire gen. to alternator conversion

I've searched this forum for instructions and suggestions on converting a generator equipped Falcon to an alternator equipped Falcon, I've found some great tips, thanks guys!!

What I cannot find is whether I can buy brackets that are manufactured and sold for any particular conversion. I have both a 6 cylinder Falcon, 200 ci, and an 8 cylinder Falcon, 260 ci, both 1964 Falcons.

The most important for me to find are the alternator brackets for the 8 cylinder Falcon.

The 6 cylinder has already been converted to an alternator using a Ford alternator and the current wiring harness but it is not working right, it is possibly overcharging the battery, definitely causing the "wet" battery to bubble over at times.

I've tried to fix it many times, no luck, and the easiest fix seems to be to just toss the whole mess switch to a one wire alternator for this car, but I may need different brackets for that, and would like to know where to find them.

So, can I buy ready made brackets for the conversions to one wire alternator on both of these cars? I intend to use a 70's to 80's GM one wire alternator as that seems to be the most frequently recommended and most highly recommended conversion.

Thank you!

Quick update: I've just finished doing more research on the internet and found that some people are using a FORD "one wire" alternator for this conversion, but no further information was provided. Has anybody done this conversion with a FORD one wire alternator and is it just as straightforward and simple as the GM conversion?
    Last edited by Wilbur; June 14th, 2014 at 08:29 PM.