Thread: Rear Bumper and Deck Lid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rear Bumper and Deck Lid

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had a 1964-1965 Falcon rear bumper and/or deck lid. Does NOT have to be in the best condition. My Falcon Slipped into reverse while warming up and hit a tree. My luck...

P.S. This is my first time posting, so if I'm doing anything wrong or out of the ordinary please let me know!

I don't have the parts you are looking for - but it may be a good time to look at and/or replace the detent plate and shift lever in your column (just under the steering wheel) so your replacement parts don't suffer the same fate. I'm making some assumptions with the recommendation such as you have an automatic with stock column shifter.

My Convertible jumped into reverse once but fortunately I was sitting in the car at the time. Surprising none the less.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Yes Jeff, your assumptions are correct. The day after it happened, I took my steering column apart and replaced the detent plate and shift lever.
    Zachary K

'65 Falcon Futura hardtop automatic
    Red with a white top
    Powered by a 200CI straight-6

'65 Falcon Futura convertible automatic
    Dark blue with a white top
    Powered by a 289CI V8

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    Yes Jeff, your assumptions are correct. The day after it happened, I took my steering column apart and replaced the detent plate and shift lever.
    Oh good... I can sleep restful tonight. Now let's talk about your single to dual master cylinder conversion...

Good luck with your parts search.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Rear Bumper and Deck Lid

My son, Dallas, when we bought his Falcon for him back in 1993 had the same problem with the car jumping into reverse. His backed up into an old pickup and crunched the rear quarter on the Falcon pretty good. He was lucky. The Falcon driver door was open, his girlfriend was standing in the open doorway and was drug backwards. My son was able to hold on to her and she didn't get run over, but it could have been a lot worse. Dangerous little issue.

Now that I bought it back from him. Yep, I had to pay for it twice. I made sure it wouldn't happen to me. Now I am changing to the 5 speed, wonder what disasters await me with that setup?

Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker