Thread: Control Arms for a 1961 Falcon

Control Arms for a 1961 Falcon

Hello,

I am looking for some lower control arms for a 1961 Falcon. It seems I can find a bunch of different aftermarket brands for a 1962 but not the 1961. Did the size of the lower control arm change between 1961 and 1962? Anybody had any luck with any Moog, Dorman, Raybestos, or AcDelco brand control arms on a 1961?

Thanks for any help on this!

I had the same problem. Despite what their ads say, nobody seems to sell new control arms for the 61. However, you can find all the ball joints and the bushings new, so you can restore the old arms, it just costs a lot more. The lower ball joint is most expensive..maybe $120 each, upper i found for $40 or so. Or, you can go with the complete new ready made arms...but you need all new mating parts too...and now you don't have a 61 front end any more. I'm out of town today, but if you need help finding the ball joints at a reasonable price...I'll look up where I bought my stuff.

Upper balls...rock auto, $40.79, part k812a
    Last edited by dhbfaster; April 27th, 2015 at 08:21 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I went ahead and ordered a pair of lower control arms. I went with the Dorman 520-395 ones. Several websites listed those as fitting, including Summit Racing. But if they don't work, they will be easy to return since I bought them on Amazon. I will update once I get them in and see if I can get them to fit.

I hope they work. Those are the same ones I tried. Summit did take them back no problem. Check the size of the post on the ball joint first. Good luck!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Yeah those Dormans do not work, the ball joint post is too thick. I am going to go ahead and take the advice of just getting that Moog part that just replaces the ball joint. Thanks for the info!

Locate 63 spindles and use the Dorman arms is another option.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I looked at that option, and it's possible it may be the best option, but I'm pretty sure my conclusion was that if you end up with a new spindle, then you will new upper and lower arms, and also have to replace the steering idler arms to match. I found the spindles pretty expensive and difficult to know if I was actually buying a good one or not. If you can find all the parts it might actually be cheaper, and better next time you need to replace something maybe better off- but it appeared to be one of those one-thing-leads-to-another situations that you never know when it will stop...so I stuck with the original setup for my car. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Yeah those Moog K812A ball joints don't fit the lower arms on my 1961. The holes for the bolts to attach it to the control do not line up.

I need something that looks like this:

Some of the resto-mod places have them but they are all 130-150 bucks just for the ball joint.

Surely there has to be some cheaper options somewhere???

Yea, the 812a is for the upper arms, the expensive one in your pic for the lower arm. Crazy right? I think I finally broke down and bought them from Macs when they had one of their holiday sales. I'm sure they will have one for Father's Day. I hope you can find them cheaper. Good luck.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I will keep looking. There has got to be a less expensive option somewhere. I will report back here if and when I find something! Thanks

I hope you find something. I finally gave up. Just brainstorming here...not sure about your project goals, but f you're not concerned about originality and have the patience...it would be nice if you could find an entire used front end from a later model car (I think just a couple years newer might do it)...including disc brakes and 14" wheels...then just put on the new $40 control arms (with balls included) that you bought before.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Just in case...(see pic), but there will be more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Long time no post, but I did find a place selling the lower ball joints for the 60-62 falcon/comet. The company is called PST. Pretty good price too!

Here it is:

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1299/.f?sc=12

Hope this helps someone. They worked good on my '61.

-Andrew

Nice! Thanks for posting the follow up.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree