Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Problem - Is it fuel or electric?

Weird Problem - Is it fuel or electric?

OK so here is the situation: 289HiPo w/Pertronix II Ignition also has alternator instead of generator, no voltage regulator that I have seen.

The problem reared it's head 2 weeks ago. I was out driving and having a nice time for about an hour or so. On my way home the car just dies. I do some looking/testing of various things and I think maybe it is the mechanical fuel pump since the new clear filter is not showing full. Put a cup of gas directly in the carb and try to start, no joy. Weird unless spark related, right?

Get towed home, unload it from truck and the car starts right up and I drive it in the garage! So then I think maybe it was something in the fuel tank that restricted the flow and got jostled loose on the 5 minute ride to my house. Still wary I ran the car this weekend and while warming it up for 15 minutes are so, it died twice while idling, But started right up after each. I foolishly took it for a drive and made it about a 1/4 mile and it died for good. Being stubborn, I pushed it home and up a little hill with some friends. I decide to try the FlameThrower II off my Sprint to see of it had gone bad. No difference, no start. Tried it about an 2 hours later and it fired right up with the original coil.

So today, I decided to do more testing, I let it idle in my drive way and at about the 25 minute mark it died, started once after that but died again, then nada. Car is at normal temp, clear plastic fuel filter is full to and clear.

About 1 1/2 -2 hours later it fires right up like nothing is wrong.

BTW, I did have a bad Flame Thrower coil last year (June) which I replaced with the Flame Thrower II and a new set of Pertronix wires, Cap, Rotor, and a new module.

The only other thing changed out was the fuel filter. From a solid metal to a clear plastic one.

So, what's the problem?

1) Pertronix II module?

2) Vapor Lock? BTW the carb does not even get that hot to the touch, so I doubt the front bowl is boiling and there are no metal fuel lines on the engine to the carb

3) Fuel pump? Overheating, vacuum, leaky diaphragm, low psi, etc?

4) Ignition switch? Checked for heat and it is not to the touch at or around the key.

Right now I am just frustrated and gun shy to take the car anywhere until I find this gremlin.

I was going to go ahead an purchase another Pertronix II and see it that nixes the problem, then on the the fuel pump, then the carburetor.

Thanks in advance for your counsel.
    Last edited by 64SprintV8; May 25th, 2015 at 11:51 AM.

In the garage:

1964 Falcon Sprint
    powered by: 289 V8 | C4 | 8" rear 3.89
    http://tinyurl.com/kdl9hq2

1964 Fairlane Sports Coupe "K-Code"
    powered by: 289/271HP V8 | 4-spd | 9" rear 3.89
    http://tinyurl.com/kk3cfqc

My guess.

An intermittent electrical problem means that it is probably a loose connection. My guess is a loose connection between the primary wire from the coil to the top of the distributor cap. You said that you had changed the coil. Check the connection where the wire plugs into the top of the distributor cap. Maybe the wire did not get plugged in all the way and it has vibrated loose.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 25th, 2015 at 02:36 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I would:
    1) warm up to get into the "no start" situation.
    2) pull a plug wire off of the spark plug side and insert a spare spark plug on the end of the wire.
    3) ground the metal base of this loose spark plug against a bare piece of metal such as an unpainted valve cover bolt or bracket.
    4) have a helper crank the engine (trying to start it) while you are watching for the nice strong spark from that plug.

There are other ways to check for spark but this is a nice safe process that keeps your hand out of the fan.

Should help narrow your problem and show you which fork (gas or ignition) you need to go down.
    Last edited by Jeff W; May 25th, 2015 at 04:53 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Pertronix module over heating?
    Kinda like an electronic vapor lock?

Check for spark after it dies would be the first place to look..
    If no spark, check to see if you are getting power to the coil from the ignition switch..
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

*** Update *** Low Voltage the culprit?

Update: I spoke with Pertronix today and the said it sounds like a low voltage issue since the module needs at least 8v to operate correctly. Also, I found out that the factory wiring has a ballastor resitance wire from the ignition switch. Maybe the P1 could handle the lower voltage via resistance wire without incident but the P2 can't and to Nathan's point it basically causes and electronic vapor lock (shutdown) due to overheating and drawing of more voltage, etc. Then once it is cooled down it starts back up like normal, until it gets hot again.

The easy fix supposedly is to disconnect the postive power wire from the module to the coil and wire it to a 12v switched source via the fuse block, like the radio.

I guess I will try that and move forward.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by 64SprintV8; May 26th, 2015 at 04:32 PM.

In the garage:

1964 Falcon Sprint
    powered by: 289 V8 | C4 | 8" rear 3.89
    http://tinyurl.com/kdl9hq2

1964 Fairlane Sports Coupe "K-Code"
    powered by: 289/271HP V8 | 4-spd | 9" rear 3.89
    http://tinyurl.com/kk3cfqc

Center post back of ignition Switch is a keyed source.
    Might want to consider an inline fuse.. check with pertronix on what amp.. I'm guessing 15 amp should be ok..
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I had that same issue when I switched to a DII with an MSD. I had a few issues like poor acceleration under load, the engine would intermittently die and not start when it got warm.

As I was troubleshooting I noticed the wire harness was warm. I found the coil wire insulator melted and was intermittently grounding out. Since this is a resistance wire it was taking the all of the 12v load. I replaced the wire with regular primary wire and put in an inline fuse, I have not had a problem since.

It sounds like you may have a sum of errors and you just have to pick them off one at a time through careful diagnostics. In the end you'll probably shake your head at how simple the issue was.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

I found Pertronix wiring schematics to be their main cause of problems. They are a bit vague. The main issue is that their unit needs full voltage all the time, but most early stock coils are not designed to see full voltage all the time. So you need to maintain the resistance wire or ballast resistor to feed the coil (maintains about 9 volts to the coil), but then run a main wire to switched 12 volts for the Pertronix red wire. If you get a Pertronix coil too, or one of the air-core style coils, and abandon the stock-like oil-filled coils, you can eliminate the resistor wire or ballast resistor completely and run 12 volts to everything.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I agree that their documentation is "vague" and I believe it is their intent to show it as a easy drop in solution rather than any wiring modifications needing to happen. Which is the case with the original Pertronix which did not care about 12v and you could actually switch back to points/condenser as a failsafe on the road even with the resistor wire/ballast.

Anyway, I verified last night that I am only getting about 8v to the coil from the ignition switch, which looks to be the factory harness "pink wire" which would be the resistor wire. Whether I was getting less voltage or intermittent drops due to heat previous to swapping modules, cleaning the distibutor plates, and redoing connections is unknown. But both cars now are reporting 8v to the coil/pertronix in the key on position.

In looking at previous documentation on the Pertronix modules it appears that P1 only needs 6v and that P2 and P3 require a minimum of 8v, although now they state a full 12v. Luckily (and randomly) the previous owner has an additional 2 wires hooked to the ignition switch post, albeit they just go into the engine bay, are live but attach to nothing. I will verify 12v on them and use one to the coil and retest.

If this all works out, I will do the same to the Falcon and bring a true 12v to the coil, whilst retaining the original resistor wire for the emergency points fail safe or just carry the P1 Pertronix that I replaced in the Fairlane.

Thanks to all who replied on the thread. I hate electrical stuff, but I hate getting stranded even more.
    Last edited by 64SprintV8; May 28th, 2015 at 02:10 PM.

In the garage:

1964 Falcon Sprint