Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheating on a 170 in a 1961

Overheating on a 170 in a 1961

Hello,

I seem to be having some overheating issues. The 61 I'm working on has a new 2-row original style radiator, new water pump, new hoses, and a new 180 degree thermostat. Back at the end of May I had been driving it around a local town and it didn't seem to have any problems, temperature stayed right in the middle all day. Yesterday I was driving it at a steady 40 mph and the temperature gauge pegged out fairly quick after about 4 miles. It is warmer out now since it is going on July, but I don't understand what could make it drive so well last month and now it seems to overheat so badly? I haven't really messed with anything recently.

Based on some research I did, maybe I should check the timing? Also the fuel to air ratio on the carb? I also heard that a blown head gasket could be the culprit.

Does anyone else have any leads or maybe something I'm over looking? Thanks for any help!

-Andrew

Fan belt?

Hello, Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Notar61 View Post
    I don't understand what could make it drive so well last month and now it seems to overheat so badly?
    Maybe the thermostat is stuck closed?

Is your fan belt tight?

When the radiator cap is off and the the engine is is running, can you see that the coolant is moving (circulating) in the radiator?

Thanks, Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis,

Thanks for the ideas.

Hopefully it's not a stuck thermostat. It's brand new. But I guess anything is possible.

The fan belt might be something though. I did put a new one on after I replaced all the cooling system parts. Maybe I didn't get it tight enough? That would make sense in that it was fine right when I put it on, but it might of slowly loosened up over time......thus making it overheat recently. I will have to check that today when I get home. Does anyone know the torque spec on the tensioner bolt?

I can also open up the radiator and verify if the coolant is moving around in there too.

Thanks again!

-Andrew

In addition to Dennis' great spot-on suggestions, you may want to verify your lower hose has a spring inside of it. With the motor off reach down and see if you can squeeze it to the point of collapse. Lower hoses are under suction and at a steady speed the lower hose may have got sucked closed.

I assume also the car actually did overheat with some evidence other than the temp gauge? Make sure that it isn't just a faulty sender.

Checking for flow does two thing at different points in time. When you start the car cold, cap off, there will be very little, if any flow and movement. Once the thermostat starts to open (if it opens) you will see the flow of coolant begin as you are looking down into the radiator.

Regarding a blown head gasket, this is, of course, possible, but would be the last thing to check for. Though there are testing tools for this - sniffers for combustible fumes out the radiator - there is also a potential for the water as you're running it to begin to bubble and froth like Old Faithful just running it there in the garage. If that doesn't happen, I would probably rule that out.

Also A/F mixture would be almost a non issue on a stock-ish Falcon.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger,

I don't think my new lower radiator hose had a spring in it. If it did I may not of noticed. I can check though tonight. Do you know anywhere I can get a spring to put in there? I saw some for the V8 engines that some places sold, but not one for the six cylinder engine.

I'll do the radiator "cap off test" and let you guys know the results once I get the chance.

Hopefully its just something simple like the belt being loose or the lower radiator hose needing that spring.

-Andrew

You can get springs. In fact I bought a lower hose and spring (for something) once thinking the lower spring was "optional" and the hose came with a spring too...

... not sure if I still have said spring.

But check first and see. Hopefully it is simple. If all your changing was because it was overheating before, you may have simply not fixed yet what was wrong.

Keep us posted.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Hello all,

Last night I checked the fan belt and it was tight.....hadn't loosened up like Dennis had thought.

I also squeezed on that lower radiator hose and it is pretty easy to smash down.....so no spring probably. My old radiator hose probably had one in it but I didn't even think to look and tossed it. Gonna have to find one of those springs now.

Roger do you happen to remember where you bought your hose and spring at? I called NAPA last night and they didn't seem to think I could get just a spring for the radiator hose.

I didn't have time last night to sit and watch the radiator with the cap off, but I plan to tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone's ideas and suggestions!

-Andrew

I couldn't find (quickly) the spring for the lower on a 170, but here's the one for a 289 - and you could probably twist it in. Even if it is a little big or small, you can usually manipulate them to go in and stay put.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...43875-382.html

There is debate on the need. Some say "YES" and some say "NO." My basic reasoning is that if the hose is soft cold, it is softer all-the-more hot. And it's not easy to see happening - while driving down the road - so for $5 it is worth doing just to rule it out. And I feel new hoses and find them inferior to those made in 196X, so why debate it. Considering your old hose had one, there's no reason not to make sure the new one does too.

Still do the other checks, even before the spring-add. These are telling of other things worth knowing.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Roger,

Yeah I think the spring would be a good idea. Might as well at this point. I'll go ahead and get that one for the mustang and try and get it to fit.

And once I do some more tests, I will report back with what I find out.

Thanks!

-Andrew

Okay. Radiator spring is ordered. I will get it installed once it gets here.

Last night I did take the radiator cap off and let the car idle. After awhile the coolant did start to move around and flow. No bubbles or anything too. I did notice that the level seemed lower than the last time I topped it off. So maybe there was a bubble and it got worked out? Seemed weird that the coolant level had dropped.

Do I need to try and burp the coolant system again?

-Andrew

Do I need to try and burp the coolant system again?
    I'm pretty sure there was probably a few pockets of air that worked their way out. Top it up and run it a little, let it cool, check the fluid. It will probably stabilize. There is also, I suppose, a chance it did off-gas a bit (spew) when it got warm and you lost some fluid. Do you have a coolant recovery or would it have spilled onto the ground?

You'll have to rinse and repeat all of this when you pull the bottom hose off, so maybe hold-off doing any more until you have that done.

I did some more thinking on the lower spring debate. I bet (though I've not researched the debate much) that the naysayers say the "pressure in the system" should be enough to keep the hose from collapsing. Technically, I suppose, that would be true if the pressure was greater than the suction caused by the pump. But again, how would you know? Mount a video camera focused on the lower hose? Springs, I believe, we a fail-safe to make sure it doesn't happen. Why, then, are we buying hoses, or are they selling hoses, without them? I used to work in an auto parts store and all the lower hoses I sold (as best I can recall) had springs. These were all Gates hoses back then. Now, who knows where these hoses are coming from. I can take a guess...

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"