Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 62 starting problem and need help please!

Unhappy 62 starting problem and need help please!

Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum (and car novice) and in a way of introducing myself, I need help!

I have a 62 4-door Falcon (of course) and just lately I can't get it started. It was starting rather rough of late and now it won't turn over at all. When the key is turned there is a buzzing but the starter does not sound like it's engaged. I checked the battery and it's fine, the dome light does dim when the key is turned however. The buzzing is coming from a small box (Select brand) that is connected to the battery. I have checked all the connections to it and they seem fine. What is this small box and could that be the problem? If so where do I get one and what do I ask for?

I know these must sound like silly questions to you pros but any help would be greatly appreciated as I want my bird to fly again soon this summer.

Thanks so much!!

Jim in Ballard

Welcome to the site. I think you should consider a new user name. SPAMMERS will find that address and beall over you. Never use your email address on a web page.

The small box is the starter solenoid. It is mounted to the front of the right side shock tower. I would start with the basics. Clean your battery terminals. Check the cables. Check the ground strap from engine to chassis. The solenoid is cheap to replace if you want to try that.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Jim,

No pros here man, just a bunch of normal Joes.

That box is the starter solenoid which is sort of a big relay to carry all the electrical current your starter needs from the battery to the starter in as direct a path as you can get. So instead of the ignition switch in your dash being the "path" for all that current to flow, the dash ignition switch just tells that solenoid by the battery to "connect" and that's what sends the juice down to the starter.

OK, so this thing buzzes you say? That is typical of one of these failing. There is a ring contact inside of it that gets pulled down by an electromagnetic. When this ring is pulled down it makes contact with those two big terminals and that is what makes the connection from one side to the other, This buzz you here is typical of this electromagnetic circuit working... sort of. Usually, if it's the starter, this will just CLICK loudly and that's it.

A chatter, or buzz as you call it is also heard when the solenoid isn't properly grounded to the fender panel. So be sure that those two bolts bolting it down are clean and secure. Assuming as you say the battery and the terminals are good and very clean (have you actually looked) then this solenoid not being properly grounded to the fender is more common than the solenoid actually failing.

The worst case would be the starter failing. It also has a magnetic circuit in it with a contact. This is to make sure the drive gear is actually engaged into the flywheel ring gear before the starter begins to spin. If this contact is burned up, or the brushes are shot, then the starter can't spin.

So that's the start routine in a nutshell. Start at the battery (voltage/cleanliness), then check the solenoid connections and that it is secure to the inner fender. The solenoid is cheaper than a starter (and easier to install), so replace it before you crawl underneath and pull out the starter.

Hope this helps and was understandable!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks guys,

The solenoid appears to bolted firmly and the battery terminals are really clean. If I were to purchase a replacement, what exactly do I ask for and where is a good local place to get one? Sorry again for the basic questions...just trying to learn.

Thanks!!!

Jim in Ballard

You can get one at Schucks. That solenoid has been used in all ford cars and trucks to the 80s. Just tell then you have a 62 Falcon and see what they do. If that isn't listed in their book, tell them to findone for a 60s Mustang.
    Patrick Brown

Where is Ballard are you? I'm on 74th St near 28th Ave.
    Patrick Brown

I live on Jones and 77th NW. Actually very close to Kenny as well. Who, by the by, ever so nicely has agreed to come over and give a listen...

All the important guys live in Ballard. Yah sure, you betcha. I'm sure between these two you should be up and going in no time...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    I'm sure between these two you should be up and going in no time...
    That or the car will burn to the ground in a terrific electrical fire.
    Patrick Brown

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions. Just as a quick update, Kenny did come over and helped me replace the solenoid and that didn't work (it generated the same whirring grinding sound as before) so check that off. Next he removed the starter. I took it to Schuck's and the guy did a bench test and it did start running but he said the voltage was low. So I bought a new one to be replaced by me (watch out) and we'll see if that does the trick. I'm going out of town for a few days but when I return I'll give you all an update and hopefully my bird will fire right up. If not, well, you know I'll be calling... ha!

Thanks again for all your kind assistance!

Jim

Jim,

Whirring grinding almost sounds like a bad bendix in the starter, which would mean the starter is turning, but when the bendix engages it releases prematurely. Or doesn't engage and hold. I doubt Shucks would check that component, but since you have a new one within the new starter, you should be golden. Let us know when you get back how that works out.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"