Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Those pictures are giving me nightmares of when I did mine. Looking very good though. I like the way you did the cowl. I wish I would have thought of that for mine, it would have save a lot of spot weld drilling..
    Nice progress, I am still doing body work. Was going to put it back on the ground but got the wrong shackle bushings from Auto Krafters??

I really had no choice but to do it that way since the cowl rot had proceeded to rot the firewall too. Just nothing to spot-weld the new top to. This left a lot of that original structure intact, and the only tricky part was making sure you had all the height correct (i.e., how much and how far do you overlap).

I had to collapse the inner section to get the upper part over it, but it all aligned nicely. And using the grey car cowl and dash will correct for the passenger door/dash damage a little.

Trust me, I'll have nightmares about this too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger if you want to sand blast that dash before you weld it let me know. It would be much easier to paint when it comes time?? Could put it in primer like I did my car??
    We need to find an express route to get stuff back and forth?? Anybody have a transporter we can use???

As much as I'd love to Steve, it's such a huge expense of both a full day and driving/ferry/gas to go over there. As you know, it's a $100 bill no matter how you slice it.

So, I'll do as I've been doing on much of it -- the trusty propane torch and wire brush. Works great on these hard-contour parts. Almost like I used a soda blast or plastic media. I just make sure to avoid flat panels, though I never really get it that hot. The paint blisters almost instantly. That and DA with 80-grit and it'll be done in an hour with propane to spare!

Underneath, it'll get wire bushed and RustDoctor'd. Nothing more.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Cool offer stands to any paid member of the club that wants to use the facility for media blasting. Also deep discounts on coating as well.
    Keep us posted on the progress, I like seeing what I have already done (to the delivery). That is scary looking with the cowl and dash out>!>!

Still having fun!

Spent the past few evenings getting the cowl cleaned up and welded back together. That's almost done. Just need to clean-up the little connector pieces between the rear fender aprons and the cowl and then weld them on.

Then I cleaned up the dash of all the old peeling paint and got it down to bare metal and sprayed some hammerite under it to make a smooth surface. That's ready to go in, but I want to finish up the welding on the firewall and get that all seam sealed and painted up under there before making harder to get to with an installed dash.

Today I tackled the old rotted battery tray with removal and swap with the fender apron from a 64-66 Mustang and the 64-65 Falcon battery tray. Quite a process, actually. It tuned out pretty decent though. I'll do some grinding and body work to smooth it all down.

So here are the pics you all love so much...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Battery tray

More of the finished battery tray.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"