Thread: 1941 Ford Super DeLuxe

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1941 Ford Super DeLuxe

I have to make work related visits to Bartow every few months. It is a little town that is maybe 30 miles east of Tampa. I noticed this car the last few times I passed through there, and I finally stopped today to look at it and take pictures.

It had a Ford logo on the rear bumper and a chrome "Super Deluxe" emblem on the left front fender. There is a faded "For Sale" sign in the window had a telephone number but not a price. The hood ornament and headlight visors were added by someone and are not original to the car.
    Ford front 013.jpg

I looked in my book "Illustrated History of Ford" and identified it from its grill as a 1941 model. The book says: "1941. A totally new design and a totally new engine were spread out before the public. Gone was the "triangular" styling in effect since 1937. Replacing it was the "square box" styling that would continue until 1948. Gone to was the never appreciated 60 hp V-8 replaced by, of all things, a 90 hp six cylinder engine - the first Ford Six since the ill fated Model K of 1906. It was offered in Special, DeLuxe, and Super DeLuxe trim levels. The bodies of all models were longer and wider, offering more passenger room and more luggage space. In advertising Ford was capitalizing on its late entry into hydraulic brakes by claiming the largest brakes in the low priced field (12 inch drums)."

I know that it is a four door, and it is a six cylinder, and that the roof is rusted, but .... that car would look bad-a** if it were fixed up. It would be a hoot to drive.
    Ford Left Side 017.jpg

The back end looks nice, but the rear window is mounted so high that it looks like a sky light. The blue dots on the tail lights were added by someone. Does that look like dual exhaust pipes? That is a puzzle. I wish that I had lifted the hood.
    Ford Back 016.jpg

The interior is disintegrated, but it looks like the original cloth upholstery.
    Ford steering wheel.jpg

This is what Wikipedia says about the 1941 standard 90 hp 226 six cylinder:

"The first generation Ford six-cylinder engines were all flathead engines. The 226 was introduced with the 1941 model year, the first Ford L-6 (designated G-series) displaced 226 cu in (3.7 L) and produced 90 hp, the same as the Flathead V-8 that year. Like the V-8, it was also a flathead or L-head engine. The G-series engines were used in the full-size Ford cars and trucks to replace the smaller 60 hp 136 cu in (2.2 L) Flathead V8 that was used with the 1937 Ford."

If the car had the optional 239 V-8 it would have this "1941 Ford Car Hood V8 Emblem".

1941 FORD CAR HOOD V8 EMBLEM.jpg

Here is an image of a restored Super DeLuxe V-8 version. Notice the little V-8 emblem. Notice also that it has a strip of chrome on the front and rear fenders that is apparently missing on the black one.

1941 super deLuxe.jpg

Info about the optional 239: Ford introduced the 239 cu in Flathead V8 engine in 1939. It produced 95 hp and 170 lb·ft; in 1941, the torque rose by 6 lb·ft.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 20th, 2015 at 05:50 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)