Thread: i could really use some knowledge...

i could really use some knowledge...

what 2 barrel or 1 barrels all work for the 68 200?does anyone have a spare?
    Last edited by tylers_62; February 22nd, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
    63 ford ranchero. rebuilt 68 200 rebuilt c4 electronic ignition intermittent wipers

Tyler,

I didn't dig in my shed for you because it sounded like you had it under control -- but I can still do this for you. I may not have anything, but I'll look as soon as I can.

As for what fits, only one barrels without a lot of modification -- and depending on the head they all have varying bore diameters and air cleaner (air horn) sizes.

So, couldn't you rebuild yours?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

for 180 dollars yeah. the carb got taken in on friday. the guy had put in the wrong needles. so he re did that and checked the rest out said it was ok. so we slapped it on retuned and timed it. it worked. then the hesitation came back. so yesterday we re gapped the plugs. re tuned it AGAIN and re timed it. but was still there but not bad. so today i replaced the fuel filter wires after they shocked me. and the number 6 plug. still there so we took a look in the carb while it was running and found that its almost spitting into the throat of it because the misting if you could call it that was so inconsistent and sloppy. and it doesnt shut off right away after you let off the throttle, it kind of drips and leaks into the throat for a second or two. so i though we had it fixed but apparently the car has other plans. i figure if i can find a single barrel that works rather then pay 180 dollars itd be the best route at this time :S
    63 ford ranchero. rebuilt 68 200 rebuilt c4 electronic ignition intermittent wipers

It's really hard to diagnose over the forum but that Autolite you have should work well for that engine. And any other carb you find may give you as many problems if not more or different ones.

One thing you really should check for is vacuum leaks. That can really reek havoc on how the carb is working. Get a rubber hose that's big and long enough to hold to your ear like a stethoscope. Move it around the carb and intake manifold and listen for the noise to change (keep away from the fan!!!). Leaks will sound like whistling air! I've fixed cars several times by taking care of vacuum leaks. Maybe a crack in the hose to the PCV or advance? Is the vacuum advance on the distributor working? It has a diaphragm that can crack and leak. Maybe leaks around the carb base?

Just a thought...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I have a spare autolite 1100 IIRC and I think a Holley 1946 or maybe its a carter YF

Problem is I live on the other "side" and the carbs have been sitting so long they should be rebuilt.

I'll go find them and post pictures if you'd like.. I can even throw in a carb kit at a discount price..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

well thanks for the offer guys and the help, but th guy offered to rebuild it at a discounted price on account of the trouble its been giving after only a year. so i guess ill get teh bug runing for a few days. out of curiosity are the 300 c.i. carbs the same?

the autolite 1100 from the 300ci usually have bigger venturi and jetted differently.. the may have a larger throttle hole so there may be an issue with the carb spacer under the carb.. not that you can't make it work..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

found the culprit. we did a pressure test on the pump and its putting out a really strong seven just when cranking. guy at the carb shop said anything more then 5 will cause the exact same problems i was having
    but ill have this carb and my grandpas rebuilding a back up. thanks for the help guys!