Thread: 62 Ranchero Steering box

62 Ranchero Steering box

I'm having trouble removing the steering box on a 62 ,I can't remove the bottom Bolt that connects the Steering box to the lower steering Mach. I'd like to hear from any one that has experience doing this . thank you for any help;
    Last edited by pbrown; July 17th, 2015 at 11:06 PM.

I think you're talking about the bolt that secures the pitman arm? That's what moves the center link. The bolt goes into the sector shaft and has a very high torque. 6-cylinders are about 100 ft. lbs. It really takes a lot to crack them loose. You will need a 1/2" breaker bar and use a 6-point socket. Maybe even a pipe to put over the breaker bar for more leverage if needed.

It should come loose but if not, you may need to apply some heat from a torch. More than just a propane one used to sweat copper plumbing. If you have or can borrow an air impact wrench, that would work well too.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

62 Ranchero Steering box

I remember trying to get mine off for about an hour with my breaker bar and socket. My son who is a mechanic, heated it up and used his impact gun for just a second. I think the heat like mentioned earlier was the trick. His impact gun was also a lot more powerful than mine also. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker