Thread: EFI ready gas tank for '61 Falcon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EFI ready gas tank for '61 Falcon

Greetings...

I'm looking for an "EFI ready" fuel tank for 61 Falcon. I see they are avail for early Mustang but not Falcon. I prefer to get one that already has provisions for the electric pump & vertical style sending unit instead of modifying mine.

I understand the filler neck location is different... but otherwise I believe the 16 gal aftermarket tanks are the same dimensions and will drop in a Falcon trunk. And it appears that you should be able to adapt/modify a filler neck to mate up properly w/the tank.

Your thoughts on using/adapting an early Mustang "EFI Ready" tank to a 61 Falcon would be much appreciated. I also understand an "in trunk" non-vented filler is also an option with the Mustang tank.

Also curious if anyone knows why the filler necks on the early Falcons were at such an odd angle.

If this subject has been discussed previously, I didn't find it. Pls point me in the right direction.

Thx- Fred

Fred Pennington
    '62 Falcon
    289, 4-Spd, 9 in

Fred,

Many use the Mustang tank as a swap, but do the in-the-trunk-fill option and negate the rear panel fill (and forever save your paint job). It's a good swap since the odd-angle you speak of is no longer a concern. If you plan to maintain the external fill I think you can still fanangle the connection, but you'll probably need to use your McGyver hat.

And who knows why Ford could't have designed the filler neck the same on both cars since all the other dimensions were the same.

On the early Falcon there was a vent tube leading out fumes of the trunk, so you use a non-vented cap in the case of an alternate fill tube (most use a straight F100 filler neck) and the tank vents as needed using the vent tube. If the Mustang tank doesn't give you that vent tube option, I don't suspect it would be hard to add.

Hope this helps.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger - Thx...

I've seen that some of the tank mfgs offer an in-trunk fill option. Coincidently, the gas "urped" out of my '61 on the garage floor yesterday but luckly caught it just after it happened... I wasn't as luck on my '62 a couple years ago. You would think the vent tube would help eliminate that. Better check to see if its clogged.

And I agree that one should be able to modify a fill tube to mate with the tank. Seems very close to the Mustang setup.

I found it interesting that I posed the same question to every mfg I could find that offers Mustang tanks and most agreed it would fit and one could adapt a filler neck but a couple did not recommend it and none had any first hand experience with the install.

Regarding the vent... the setup I am considering using includes a vent port fitting on the fuel pump.

The reason I am researching this is I have a 331 strocker running the MSD TBI with a return and external fuel pump in the '61... would like to get the pump noise down and keep the pump cooler.

Looks like I will probably take the plunge and let you know how it works out.

Thx for the feedback - Fred

Fred Pennington
    '62 Falcon
    289, 4-Spd, 9 in

FWIW, I have a Mallory EFI pump mounted just in front of my tank for a 331 stroker with Megasquirt. That pump is so quiet it can't be heard at all.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I have the MSD pump that is bundled with the MSD Atomic EFI. I'm running a "return" system with a regulator so the pump runs all the time. Even with it mounted on isolators in front of the tank, is is noisy at while stopped... don't normally hear it while driving. Maybe just being picky. The pump can run in PWM mode which is quieter but has its own issues with the fuel line pulsing.

Which Mallory pump are you using? I did a quick look and found a P/N 22257 for EFI.

And while looking, discovered Mallory was part of MSD... which, as of a couple years ago, is part of Holley.

Anyway, thx... pls let me know what you are using. It sounds like a good option.

Fred

Fred Pennington
    '62 Falcon
    289, 4-Spd, 9 in

Quote Originally Posted by charlescfp View Post
    Which Mallory pump are you using? I did a quick look and found a P/N 22257 for EFI.
    That is the one. They make a bigger one too if you need it. P/N 29257.

I had a few noisy carb pumps back when I ran a carb. I hated the noise and was recommended to try a Mallory. It was so great that when I converted to EFI, I switched to the EFI version of the same pump.

I also run a retun system. I have a fuel rail mounted regulator set to 45psi.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI