Thread: HELP! Please

karenna Guest

HELP! Please

I just entered my vin and ID numbers/letters on 2 different vin decoders and my car doesn't match what it says I have . I bought this Falcon Saturday it is supposed to9 be a 2 door 1961 with bucket seats. It is maroon w/ brown/tan upholstry. The decoder says it's a 1960 2 door falcon futura w/ bench seats. It's supposed to be dark metalic blue(Chesapeakeblue) with gray interior . Now I realize people do repaint cars sometimes and maybe change interior(although the bucket seats with metal console in middle look factory), but the year and body type (its not supposed to be a futura) bother me real bad . My question is this; is there any other places on the car ie..motr, axle,etc... where there would be another vin/ID number? Have I been horn swaggled? I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
    Karenna

Kareena,

Lift the hood and look on the driver side where the fender bolts hold the fender on; you should see a section in the fender lip that has been removed to allow you to see where the body has the VIN number stamped into it. See if this number matches the VIN number on the plate. If it does, then the car has in fact seen a lot of changed in its 40-something years. If these number do not match... Houston we have a problem. Have you checked that the VIN number on the riveted plate matches the title? A 60 and a 61 are all but the same except the grilles and possibly some trim (I've had a 62 and now have a 65, so I'm not a real expert on the 60/61). Anyway, verify the body number and the riveted plate match first, then you can decide to really freak out or not.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

LOTS of things can change over the years so nothing would surprise me. I think 60 & 61 grills interchange. A Futura package usually has buckets with the console. I don't think `60 & `61 had any Futura badges but am not sure. Maybe a `61 had 3 arrowhead badges on the rear quarter panel.

Got any photos??

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

There was no 60 futura..
    61 was the first year for that model.

Post your door tag info here, most of us with shop manuals can decifier that info for you...
    I would also confirm your door tag info with the under hood info.. It might be on the drivers side support brace which goes from the shock tower to the rear firewall..

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan289; June 30th, 2008 at 11:16 PM.

Kenny's right about the 3 arrow head or I call them tear drops on the rear quarter panal of the car.. 61 futura only..

They look like chrome emblems from a fairlane..

Nathan

There used to be a guy who would decode the VIN as opposed to an internet script doing it. Can't remember who though.

I also think a 1960 just had the word "Falcon" in script on the front fenders and the 1961 had both the bird and script. Another clue!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I'll get my shop manual and I can become "that guy"

actaully my manual has both the US and Canadian models in it.

I can cover 60 to 62..

Nathan

Kareena,

Lift the hood and look on the driver side where the fender bolts hold the fender on; you should see a section in the fender lip that has been removed to allow you to see where the body has the VIN number stamped into it. This number should match the one on the title. The door may have been changed and the info there would be for the car it came from .
    Take Care
    Earl

www.ranchero65.com

Earl,

I wonder if I can sue you for plagiarism...

Your first line looks surprisingly similar to mine reply from yesterday...

(Of course I'm kidding... except about the second thing)
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"