Thread: Greetings from Seattle. And a request.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greetings from Seattle. And a request.

I've been away from the forum for a couple of years but am just now getting some time to work on the car (1962 coupe) again.

I have a request!!

I'm getting ready to start building a mild performance 170/200 for the Falcon. I generally like to build smaller engines, and am kind on an efficiency nut so I like to get more power from combustion efficiency rather than more cubes. I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to build the engine - 9.2:1 CR, DUI Dizzy, 2V conversion, mild-ish cam with a T-5.

Trouble is I've never driven ANY old sixes. I'd like to build this as a 170 but many people have told me they just don't have enough power, and parts are becoming hard to find (oil pump, pistons). I'm not looking for a 400hp monster or a drag car, just a decent driver.

SO!! Would anyone here be willing to let me drive their I-6 around the block a couple of times so I can get a baseline for what these engines do stock?

I'm in Seattle and would REALLY appreciate it.

Thank You!!!

I doubt many of us have much of anything stock anymore. Mine is sort of apart at the moment.

I'd build a 200 with a maybe a 250 head to get the big log you'll want for the 2 barrell. The 170 is a 5 main engine and the 200 is a 7 main engine. Way more robust. And it's said you can't put a 200 distributor (likely what they make the DUI to fit) into a 170 block. I plan of testing that theory for myself on the Comet we're doing the engine swap on.

And of course you can check out ClassicInlines or Clifford for more compatibility info - as well as the 6 cylinder performance book put out by the Schjeldahl brothers:

http://www.classicinlines.com/prodde...od=FSP-200-FSH
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Mine's not stock by any means but it's no hot rod. I've got a late model head that's ported and polished, oversized valves, Weber DGV carb, Duraspark dizzy with MSD, headers, etc.

I second the Schjeldahl book. A good source of information on things you can do to a six for cheap or big bucks and from mild to wild. Worth the money. If you get one on eBay, make sure it's the current 11th edition. They add a lot each time and update as mods become available.

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...BOOK-6p135.htm

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Ballard

Red Falcon,
    I'd love to check out your car sometime! Mine has been in pieces for a while and I think that would be some helpful motivation.

I have the Schjeldahl book and it's been a great resource. I also have a 1981 200 engine with a large log head, however it's not the low mount starter bell housing that the 1981 is supposed to be. I may just use the head from it, not sure yet.

The book says that 170's built after 1965 use the larger (5/16") distributor drive like the 200's, although I haven't seen one to confirm this. I have two early 170's in my garage that both have the 1/4" drive.