Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating done cheap

Oh man...did you guys see all that whining from Steve below about my vacation....?? The guy lives in the country, breathes clean air every day, he's his own boss, gets to work on stuff he loves every day, has a three car garage 100% dedicated to his toys, at least three classic cars to play with, a big truck, a big dog, and a great wife that supports him going into his own business, he's not stuck at a desk all day, he can be on the forum any time he wants (did I say he's his own boss??,) really he can go on "vacation" any time he wants to...but why?? he's already living the dream....it always looks greener on the other side of the fence doesn't it? Let's face it, none of us really have it that bad do we. Come on over to China and I'll show you how the people making all the parts for the new cars live...(-:
    Last edited by dhbfaster; March 27th, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Ouch! You hurt my feeling.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Shhhh...I don't want my boss to see me on the forum at work.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

or as I sometimes call it....jail.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    Ouch! You hurt my feeling.
    He just said what I think all the rest of us were thinking.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Steve,
    Do you have powder to match Ford Medium Blue (same as duplicator DE-1606) for the valve covers and air cleaner? It seems like it's not as prevelant as the light blue on a lot of older Fords.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I have no idea? I would need a sample to match. Everyone that brings a ford color in is different from the next one. I have three blues I use for ford and I'm guessing you are looking for the one in the middle.
    Go to my web site for the shop and check out the links pages for cardinal. Look at the color BL-01. That should be the one you need. If not let me know which one is closest to yours.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Steve
    Need a little help...my father in law...old car expert extraordinaire (actually his specialty is ignition systems)...tried powder coating like 20 years ago both himself and using outside coaters and he had problems with it chipping off. I think the powder is simply better now?
    He's coming to visit in a couple weeks....any thoughts on how to convince him that powder is better now? I'm thinking I need one of those powder coated paint cans for him to play with or something, but he's a very techey type of guy and would like to understand the "why is it better now." It's not something I lose any sleep over but it would be fun to win him over on this one.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Twenty years ago powder was not much better than paint. Plus they only had three colors. Put it to him this way, what was he using for a phone twenty years ago? How did he get all his information twenty years ago. Technology advances so fast now days if you stop and think about it your already behind.
    Send him to the web site and there are link on there to point you on the right direction, or if you want come by the shop when he's here and I'll show him the difference.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Steve, Can you powdercoat this window mechanism? I'm thinking not, but I figured it's worth asking. IF you can't, can you blast it without damaging it? OR...anyone have any tips on restoring these? It's pretty stiff. Seems like a grease fitting would have been good.
    and does anyone know if the orange bushing is supposed to turn?
    WindowGears.jpg
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

The orange roller should spin freely. New ones are about $2.00
    I lubed and replaced all of mine when I had the glass out. When they don't spin, the glass channel wears right through the plastic roller.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

I know these well and I'd not suggest PC on them - not unless you drill the rivets and pull the two-way brake parts out first. The rest (less those parts) would blast and PC just fine. The part around the crank is the two-way brake that allows you to turn the handle in both directions and when you let go of the handle it doesn't take off on you. Out of the car these should operate that way too. If it wants to unwind the spring on you on its own, this brake is broken and needs to get repaired. They were packed with grease, yes, but getting at them to grease them is one of those things most wouldn't have done anyway. Jeff hit it correct with the plastic rollers, so nothing more to add there. Just get all new ones.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"