Thread: Opinions on Hood Insulation?

Opinions on Hood Insulation?

I resisted the idea of hood insulation because I though that it would:
    a) be like a blanket over the engine and make it run hotter
    b) add weight
    c) be a problem if it came loose and fell into a running engine

But, a big new four-door Dodge diesel pickup truck pulled along side my Falcon yesterday while we were both running at about 60 mph. The sound (racket) coming from his engine (not his exhaust) was so loud that I had to roll up my window and close my vent window also. It was annoying and irritating. That got me to thinking about how much noise my own engine might be making and that perhaps hood insulation might be worth considering after all.

My questions:
    Has anyone installed hood insulation in a Falcon?
    If so, did it seem to make any difference as to the sound level inside and/or outside the car?
    Was it worth the expense and effort?
    Were there any negatives that outweighed any positives?
    If you had it to do all over again, would you bother?

This is listed on e-bay at $55, postage included. I have seen other places selling insulation that you have to cut yourself for $35 (plus postage). I'd rather pay the extra $20 and buy it pre-cut (if I were to decide to buy it).

Hood insulation.jpg
    "1961-1963 FALCON 1960-1963 COMET HOOD INSULATION PAD 4 PIECES"

"(FAM-081 The Hood Insulation Pad fits into the hood under structure as original, die cut to the original size and ready to install. This kit is of the highest quality and a perfect fit. Hood insulation will keep the hood cooler and help to quiet the motor while finishing the detail under the hood of your classic American car."

"Black/Gray, installed with the skin side toward the hood. Use automotive spray adhesive (not included) to glue to the underside of the hood."
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 21st, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis that is on my list of to dos. I just like the finished look of it. Larry aka bad bird did his maybe he will chime in. I like it myself.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I'll chime in. I copied Larry's find from ebay and used some closed cell foam stuff (some kinda aerospace insulation) under my hood like Larry did. I like it. Somewhere he has info about it on this forum, I think. The vendor supplies it with a logo applique to apply to the panels, which Larry did (Falcon). I opted not to use the applique he supplied to me (Ranchero). I can probably find and supply the particulars about this stuff if interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SmithKid; April 21st, 2014 at 09:52 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I like it. I wonder if he can make my logo Delivery???
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

He made mine from a pic I supplied. I just didn't like the look of it. One detail I forgot, The panels aren't pre-cut. They are 47" x 47". I made my own templates, and if I remember correctly, Marion Cain has the templates I made. Just not sure the round-body hoods are the same as the square-body hoods.

I just went back and found the supplier.... his name is Gonzo and his email is:

tbirddmnd@att.net

At least that was back in Sept '11 (my my my.... time does fly).

He'd probably make the shop logo for you, Steve.
    Last edited by SmithKid; April 21st, 2014 at 10:15 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Effective?

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    I used some closed cell foam stuff (some kinda aerospace insulation)
    Hello, Gene.

Did it make any noticeable difference in engine noise, either at idle or at 60 mph?

Would it be difficult to glue those pieces in place without removing the hood?

Thanks, Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis, It wouldn't be difficult at all to glue in the pieces without removing the hood. Just use contact cement to apply to both the hood and the pieces. The only difficult part will be to make the templates. If you want to charge ahead, I can contact Marion to ask him to return the templates I made (he's had them quite a while) and send them on to you.

Frankly I don't know if there was any difference after the installation because I hadn't driven my car enough before that installation. I suspect not because my engine is mechanically quiet. Also unaware of any heat control improvement (or not).

I did the install of the insulation for aesthetic reasons. My painter hadn't resprayed the underside of the hood. I liked the looks of what Larry (Badbird) had done. I feel it gives the underhood area a finished look.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Opinions on Hood Insulation?

Sorry it has taken me so long to see this item. I did the hood insulation for a strictly looks reasoning. I do like the looks and I am sure that Gonzo could make whatever you want for a decal. It can be done with the hood on, but was much easier with it off. I think the time to remove and reinstall the hood was time well spent. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I can contact Marion to ask him to return the templates I made (he's had them quite a while) and send them on to you.
    Hello, Gene.

Thanks for offering to send me the templates, but I have decided not to go with the hood insulation.

The underside of my hood is black, so the insulation would not make much of a visual difference.
    The insulation would also cover the screws for the hood scoop. It would have to be pulled back if I wanted to replace or re-chrome that piece in the future.

Thanks again, though, for offering to send the templates. That was nice of you to do so and it is appreciated.

Dennis
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 27th, 2014 at 06:13 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis,

I certainly understand the lack of visual impact of black on black. I wonder if this stuff I used comes in any other colors. I never asked because I couldn't get too muck more contrast than black on white! Also, perhaps the fiberglass would give some contrast.

As to the ability to remove your "hood scoop", the material used could certainly be made to have access to the nuts with pre-installation holes for that purpose.

Should you change your mind, let me know regarding the templates. They're from a heavy paper and would be easy to mail.

Gene

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Obvious in retrospect

As to the ability to remove your "hood scoop", the material used could certainly be made to have access to the nuts with pre-installation holes for that purpose.
    Well, gee. Now that you said it, it seems rather obvious. After I finish monkeying with my driver's door adjustments I may revisit the idea of hood insulation.

Thanks, Gene.

Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"