Thread: 2 questions about my 62!

2 questions about my 62!

Hi, there! I recently became a member of this site and wanted some feedback to 2 questions I have about my 1962 Falcon...

The first question has to do with touching up the paint in a few spots (see attached pix, hard to look at!). My grandpa repainted the car himself and it seems like it's in fairly good shape overall, and I'd like to retouch myself, if possible, to keep costs down.

The top 2 nicks are from me rolling back into another car, trying to get out of an uphill parking spot, ARGH. Still learning how to time that clutch!
    The more significant damage below the gas cap was caused by gasoline gushing out when i fill the car up, causing the paint to bubble and now crack off. Which leads to my second question: does anyone else have this issue when pumping gas? I'm wondering if it has to do with the old fashioned tanks and the new gas pump nozzles? It seems like every time I fill up, no matter how far in I get the nozzle in or at what angle, I get some leaks down the back. And when it's full and clicks off, gas gushes out, making a huge, dangerous mess. I usually just hold some paper towels beneath the nozzle as I fill up, but surely there's a better way? I would avoid filling it completely if my gas gauge worked, but it doesn't, so I just get gas every now and then (I never know how much it needs).

Jeff W gave me some tips last week about the painting: Wesco Autobody Supply, who can custom mix paint and even put it into spray cans. I wanted to write again about this issue, though, since I have photos of the damaged spots now. Thanks again for the info, Jeff!

-Joanna
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Joanna and welcome!

I'll let others reply to the paint touch-up but here's a thread on the gas filler.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...read.php?t=465

It's a really great conversion to do. Now I can lock the gas pump handle while it fills and go wash the windows, empty the trash, check the oil, etc...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Thank you

Thanks so much for the fast response! I love this website!!

And good to know the gas leak thing wasn't just me...

-Joanna

And if you need one of those Ford Pickup spouts Kenny and Patrick used on their conversions, I have one laying around. I paid $2 for it at the Pull-a-part.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"