Thread: Bucket Seats for a 63

Bucket Seats for a 63

So my 63 is the base model and came with the bench seat in the front.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...l/IMG_0124.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...l/IMG_0125.jpg

I believe the bench seat could be redone but I would really prefer bucket seats up front, especially since I am changing the shifter from the column to the floor. I don't need originals but I also don't want to spend a ton of money. Don't need electric or head rests.

From looking around and searching this forum it seems there are three main options.

1. Find and purchase used one from an original Falcon but they seem hard to find and expensive.
    2. Find a modern seat you can pull from a junk yard or purchased used online. I read how someone from in the forum put seats from a 96 Lexus in theirs. It always seems like alot of fab work is involved but I would be happy to put out some money for some nice fitting/looking leather seats. Perfer black.
    3. Purchase an after market solution. I saw it looked like some might have used after market seats from a 64 Mustang, which seam to have a good match to the Falcon style.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has hashed on this subject before but I was wondering in anyone had any advice or a vote on the best option. Also if I find a good bucket seat solutions, I'll have an old bench seat if anyone needs it.

Dan

Bench Seats

Hello, Dan.

Thanks for posting the photos. I was surprised to see that the back rest uses a different interior padding than the seat cushion.

Original Front Seat.jpg

The bottom portion looks like it uses foam rubber.

What is the white stuff that was used in the back rest? Is that cotton?

Thanks, Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis,

I have no idea what they white stuff is but I agree with you that its a very weird setup. This was the condition of the front seat as I inherited it. I wonder if this was original top and someone repaired the bottom?

Your guess is as good as mine. Happy to take other pictures to investigate if you want.

Dan

Foam rubber has less propensity to shift around from sitting on it, whereas the heavy cotton bat is fine for lighter pressures, like your back against it. They look to be original seat covers, so I'm pretty sure this is how they were done.

Even foam would have a thin layer of something like a cotton bat on it (usually), but some seats I've take apart have foam on both horizontal and vertical surfaces, cotton on both surfaces, burlap over springs, burlap over cotton, under cotton, under foam, over foam. You name it.

Foam does break down eventually, so it often has something, like a cotton bat, added to it (if the foam is in reasonable shape) if reupholstered.

Ford (and others) probably used whatever was available and cheap at the time and may have deviated often on material based upon that. Not sure if anyone has ever tried to document this.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"