Thread: Parking Brake handle pawl

Parking Brake handle pawl

Hi Guys, new member with a puzzler. 64 Ranchero. I had to replace the parking brake cable from the handle down to the equalizer. When I pulled the handle out to clean and lube, the spring and pawl fell out and I can't figure out how to re-assemble it. I have the new cable in place over the little wheel and into the slot in the handle. I can't find a picture anywhere. Could use some help. Thanks, Al

Oh - that's a fun little dealeo. I know how to do it from experience, but not sure I took pictures when I redid mine. It took some fiddling because the end of the spring comes up through the bigger slot (doesn't look like it should) and the pawl has to go through the spring at the same time you're aligning the long-end of the spring on both ends. I'll have to look at what I have assembled and yet unassembled to see if I can shoot a picture of that. You have to do it, for sure, with the handle removed.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Smile

Thank you Roger. I think I got ahead of myself when I threaded the new cable back up thru the firewall, so I guess I have to go back under the truck and disconnect the cable at both ends and start over. Still don't know how the ratcheting mechanism goes together, but I'll just have to figure it out. And then I will make a diagram and post it on the forum.

I have all the bits to restore another of these. They're the same for almost all the Falcons and Mustdangs. If I find them this weekend, I'll post something. Finding them though...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Edited and attached a drawing LOL

Al came over here on Saturday and helped with my car demolition, it was the least i could do to get his P Brake spring back together. I took an image using my cell phone of my set up and figured out how it was suppose to go back together. the image is attached here its a bit blurry being so close up, so I hope this helps others.

The spring is on the Drivers side(Left) of the Parking Brake Pawl. ( The Pawl if I am correct is the little H shaped piece) I fed the Pawl from the passenger side(Right) of the bracket while holding the spring in place to loop over the front arm of the Pawl. The longer side of the spring goes towards the other end of the Pawl to make sure it holds it against the Parking brake rod. The short end winds up with pressure on the shaft the rod slides into. (now that I lost you all here in my words the Image does not show the long and short ends but i hope your following this.

Here is the image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marion; February 25th, 2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Clear up Explanation I hope
    Marion Cain

64 Falcon Futura, Grenada Front Disc
    5 Lug Conversion, 302, Still putting together.

More about my falcon can be found here. Codes and a short video of Stella when I first got here.
    Also here you can find images Here

Interestingly, as I was digging in my loft for parts to put my wagon back together (been in the air since August!) I found another e-brake handle I restored. I can snap a picture of it too - just to have more references.

Not that your description wasn't easy to follow Marion...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"