Thread: Mig Welder

Mig Welder

Anyone have any suggestions on buy a mig welder anyone own a Miller or a Lincoln looking to buy a small one that runs on 120 volt that would do sheet metal

I have a Lincoln SP-135 and like it a lot. Miller also makes a fine welding machine.

Just be sure to get a unit that uses a gas bottle. Stay away from the cheaper flux wire only welders.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Thanks for the information

A buddy of mine has a Millermatic 140 with autoset and freaking loves it. Welds the hell out of about anything he cares to. He has the bottle set up with it and runs on household current.
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe

I have used the Lincoln weld pack 100 to do my whole car with. Love it..

I picked up one from Sears. Sears contracts with Miller or Lincoln (or whoever) and then sells it for about $100 cheaper. I've never checked to see who made mine (may have to now...), but it has welded up a storm for a over 10 years now with no issues.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I own a Millermatic 140 and it has been great. I have the 75/25 bottle set up and it makes all the difference. The AutoSet feature makes it super easy to use. Miller runs rebates periodically if you're looking to save a few$$. The kit comes with everything you need except for a helmet and gloves.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

It would be great to have tech day about evaluating welding & patching body panels sometime in the spring...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Welder

I agree we should have a tech day like that

We can probably do this.

Welders are only as good as the person using them. I've seen bad welding machines weld great and I've seen good welding machines weld bad - it was all in the person holding the gun. I used to be a production welder in my other life, so I'm pretty good when I want to be. My welding machine is not all that good, and it can't do the things I'd like it to do... but I have a big 100% duty cycle Hobart MIG and a Miller TIG at work I can use any time I want.

Most home welders have a very limited duty cycle, as I mentioned above. This is the time you can weld versus the time you have to not weld - at risk of causing it to shut down or melt down, whichever comes first. Body panel welding is typically spot/tack welding, so you can get a lot done without stopping because the current is low, for one, but it is small tack welds over and over again, which doesn't overheat the welder.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"