Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What was the original radiator?

I had just left my fan black, too (lazy and eager to get it running). From your experience, I think I'll paint the tips too. With my engine being blue, I've been thinking of maybe an electric blue of some hue. Whadya think?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

You'd be amazed how just a 1/4" line near the tip gives the same effect, without the full 4" of tip being painted.

I also just try to keep my fingers away while it's running - just as a general practice.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Blue Tips

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    I had just left my fan black, too (lazy and eager to get it running). From your experience, I think I'll paint the tips too. With my engine being blue, I've been thinking of maybe an electric blue of some hue. Whadya think?
    Hello, Gene.

I would use a light-colored blue so that it shows up well. If you are just painting the tips, you might be able to paint them without removing the fan.

When I thought about a blue propeller, the the first thing that came to mind was the BMW logo:
    bmw-logo-on-plane-propeller.jpg

But, it turns out that the BMW logo actually does not represent a spinning propeller.
    See: http://www.leftlanenews.com/living-a...propeller.html

"You'd be amazed how just a 1/4" line near the tip gives the same effect, without the full 4" of tip being painted."

I wish now that I had included a yellow stripe behind my red one:
    Tarheel Hal.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 6th, 2015 at 05:35 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Coolant Expansion Tank

Attachment 5711
    Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    It was a little bit more complicated because I have a coolant overflow tank and an auxiliary transmission cooler in front of the radiator, but everything went back together OK.
    Uhhh, ... I am going to make another improvement.

The coolant expansion tank that I have been using for the past couple of years came from Mac's auto parts and was listed as being for a 1963 Falcon. It measured 2" x 12" and holds 20 oz of coolant.

Painted 17.5-inch Fan 2 6-30-15 002.jpg

The trouble with the 20 oz tank was that it was not big enough. When the full radiator got hot, the coolant would expand and overflow from the tank. When the radiator cooled back down it was no longer full.

Yesterday morning I saw a 3" x 12" coolant expansion tank that holds 45 oz of coolant. Oooooh ....
    See: http://www.amazon.com/Speedmaster-PC.../dp/B00SYFU2B0

3-inch diameter coolant expansion tank 1.jpg

3-inch diameter coolant expansion tank 2.jpg

This should work nicely. It will allow the radiator coolant to expand without overflowing. That way, the radiator will stay full when it cools. That will allow the radiator to function at maximum coolant capacity and cooling efficiency.

On an unrelated note: My steering wheel had begun squeaking when the wheel was moved back and forth. This afternoon I sprayed some WD-40 into the narrow separation between the steering wheel base and the turn-signal hub using the soda straw applicator. The squeaking disappeared. Yaaay!
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 30th, 2016 at 07:00 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

So, Dennis - are you actually expelling more than 20 OZ of coolant when your motor gets hot and it is spewing onto the ground as a result? Or were you saying it wasn't sucking it back when it cooled? What radiator cap pressure are you using? Looks like one of those thermometer caps from the picture. Just curious more than anything what the condition actually is.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Spewing and sucking? That's sounds rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    So, Dennis - are you actually expelling more than 20 OZ of coolant when your motor gets hot and it is spewing onto the ground as a result? Or were you saying it wasn't sucking it back when it cooled? What radiator cap pressure are you using? Looks like one of those thermometer caps from the picture. Just curious more than anything what the condition actually is.
    Hello, Roger.

No, the fluid expands and then it goes back down when it cools.
    The problem is that when it expands it expands more than the 20 oz volume of the expansion tank. Anything in excess of 20 oz overlows the expansion tank

When the radiator cools off it sucks the remaining 20 oz back into the radiator, minus whatever overflowed from the expansion tank.

I am not talking about a huge amount of overflow. Maybe no more than a cup full (8 oz). If I had a bigger expansion tank there would be no overflow. The fluid would heat and expand and flow into the expansion tank, and then cool and contract and flow back into the radiator.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 31st, 2016 at 04:25 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Thanks Dennis. What pressure cap are you using?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Radiator Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Thanks Dennis. What pressure cap are you using?
    Hello, Roger.

I am using a 13 psi ThermoCap.

ThermoCap1.jpg

I bought it about a year ago. New Made in China Mr. Gasket 2470S Domestic ThermoCap 13 PSI-SLVR from Amazon for $17.27 with free postage. "Combines a pressurized radiator cap with a thermometer element that eliminates potentially dangerous guesswork."
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Looks similar to what I installed - probably is. I can't remember what pressure I went with.

It's been a while since I looked into all of this, but it prompts me to look into the whole pressure rating versus coolant temperature - and how we survived before expansion/coolant recovery tanks - topic. Seems to me you use a lower pressure cap for a expansion system and higher when they were not used. But it's fuzzy - up there.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"