Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mini Regional

Well put Roger. I agree with all that. I myself could care less about a trophy or award. I built me car to have fun with and meet other Falcon and comet people. Awards are for good guys car shows. Ours is a friendly meet and greet.
    I'm like you Roger I think I had $500 invested at least in the show and I don't mind I can afford it and it helps the club that what it is all about.
    So when is the first planning meeting?? My car will be back on the road the 23rd of this month!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I like trophies and awards as much as the next guy. Sort of a pat on the back to make good on the sweat, blood, and tears I put into these cars. It's an often thankless job and when you know what you worked on gets an award - it's a boost!

But that's not the goal of this show as I understand it. As Steve is painfully aware, there is a difficulty getting us all in one place and make face time. This is that opportunity, if even once a year. So let's not make it something it's not by simply keeping it what it has been.

But that said, this is a club and my opinion is mine and may not be yours. It has to be seconded and voted upon the same as any change would. We can here on the site, so I will create a Poll to do that. I'll post the link to it soon.

I'm open for a show-specific meeting in the near future, but it will need to be attended by all members participating, so we'll need to work that out in regard to the when and where.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Vote here:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...ead.php?t=2688

Results of the poll are binding as though voted on at a meeting.

! If you are a non-member of the club, please refrain from voting. You can express your opinion here in this thread if you wish.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Well put again Roger. My first time to a Falcon show last year (tiny chance my car will make it this year)...but I did really appreciate the casual nature of this one and the opportunity to see as many Falcons as possible and talk to as many falcon owners as possible. KISS did us well. As for the money, I'm happy to chip in some extra to help out the show if we need it.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Skip the calenders
    Post cards and mailing
    And we can keep the show free.

Other option would be to sell the calendars so costs are recouped.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Just a little input from someone that has put on a car show for the last 16 years. Our show is the weekend before Memorial day so the weather is always iffy on the Oregon coast turn out is 75 to 100 cars, open to all makes.

One of the first things needed for a good turn out is to get the word out there to the public, since this is a Falcon/Comet event only makes it a little harder to get big numbers and if you get the big numbers do you have enough space to put them, a good place to get the word out is Cruzin magazine and to advertise in what we call the car show bible The Northwest Car Events Calendar but this has to be done in October of previous show year.

As for a fee, we do charge a fee of $10.00 but money after covering cost goes to Special Olympics so there is no actual profit, we do give trophys but that has always been a sore subject and does cost a good chunk of money to do, we are fortunate enough to have had sponsors for them but not always. ( I actually dont care about trophys they just collect dust) and besides we are all winners because we have put the effort into making it to the show and there is always someone that feels they didnt get what they deserved. A thought is just to give ribbons just for attending. We have always done dash plaques because a lot of people like to have them, I believe we pay $75.00 for 100.

Goody bags are always fun but getting the stuff to put in them isnt so that has gone down hill. We have always gave a bottle of water, a stick of locally made pepperoni, a voting ballot and pen some candy and what ever else we can come up with, this is where and entry fee comes in handy also helps in buying raffle items of course we always have the 50/50 raffle which most of the time would cover the cost of a big part of the expenditures.

We have never done an event calendar but have done one for car club members. It can always be done with just some pics of the cars for people that would like their car in it at home and not cost anything except money for paper and ink.

We do send out letters with registration form in it and for early registration there is a discount and a raffle ticket but I believe that the postage is more than the return and sometimes people say they are coming and dont show so their money is forfeited, which I done feel good about but have never had a complaint. So in my books this is really not a good thing to do.

We always have vendors that want to attend and sell their goods but we are not allowed to sell food because our event is at a place that sells food, but there are other vendors like photographers that we charge admission fee for and if they have good sales they donate some.

I hope I am not speaking out of place here but just wanted to give some insight from someone that has been there and done that. Bottom line is you are not going to make everybody happy. Its your club so the vote is the democratic way to do it.

If you have any questions for me please feel free to ask. I am looking forward to being there

Appreciate the input. Because this is a car-specific show, which started as an opportunity for the two Northwest chapters to meet and great and invite new people who might be interested in the clubs, this is the main reason I'm personally opposed to a fee. If it were a come one/come all event, then yes, that would be different.

We're having it at a location that is costing us nothing, it has the space for well over 100 cars, it has the means to allow us a cook-out and raffle space, we detract from it by making it overly a complex show. Especially when next year the Columbia chapter will host it again and probably continue as they've done the previous two years they hosted it.

Anyway, having also been in a club where we debated and over what to charge, where to have it, whether or not to do t-shirts and dash-plaques... and did so every year... I'm not wanting to spend that time. Simply don't have it to spend.

Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 12th, 2015 at 09:30 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"