Thread: 302 for Smithkid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

302 for Smithkid

A few weeks ago, a neighbor offered me a new motor. As I knew my motor was tired, I went to see what he had. It was a 302ci long block (minus a few bolt-ons) with a cast-iron 4bbl manifold. He says he built it while worling at a machine shop (Jacobs) 12 or 15 years ago and never installed it in the van he had at the time. It is bored .030" and has new flat-top Wiseco pistons installed with a "RV" flat tappet cam (unknow grind) and new lifters. I've plastiguaged the mains and rods, and found all to be set at .002" clearance. A new double roller timing set is also installed. Valve job is also complete on stock heads.

So after some haggling and personal guarantees, I agreed to purchase it. I've been quite busy for the last couple of weeks, but today I got the heads and block painted.

I intend to keep you all posted so that I can get advice if I make a major error in re-assembly/installation. It has been many years since I've done any engine assembly, so this'll be a re-learning experience for me.

Attach are a few pics of todays painting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Nice! All the machine work's done. Does it turn easily?
    Last edited by EdsFunny; September 11th, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
    If it's running, take it apart and see why.

Turns like I expected it to. Just got to remember to use lots of assembly lube because it's been so long since original assembly that the lube has congealed. Also, I intend to spin it over for a while before I let it fire.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Tech Day?

When are you planning to put it in Gene?
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Great to see the tail-end of that Ranchero on that side of the garage.

The engine looks nice Gene. Can't wait to help put it in.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"