Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Tank Issues

63vert Guest

Gas Tank Issues

Hi-
    Well I got the '63 Futura back today, on the way home from the shop I thought I better get some gas. I arrived home to discover a "drip" under the car towards the front of the gas tank.
    I crawled under and the leak seems to be coming from somewhere near the top of the 3(?) inch unit that ties into the gas line heading up to the front.
    It looks like I'll have to siphon out the remaining gas and lift out the tank. Has anyone else had leaks in this area? If so, can you tell me what I should be looking for once the tank is out.
    I'll take some photos of the project this weekend...kind of a bummer as I was hoping to do something more exciting. Like pop out the windshield.
    Thanks,

I believe that you are referring to the sending unit.

This is what it looks like when removed from the car.
    http://www.falconparts.com/1960-1964...6+SED+DEL.html

It is held in my a lock ring that looks like this.
    http://www.falconparts.com/1960-1970...NING+RING.html

There is a square cut rubber seal between the sending unit and the tank that looks like this.
    http://www.falconparts.com/1960-1970...T+GASKET+.html

Drain the tank, remove the lock ring and sending unit and replace the seal.

Replace the small length of rubber fuel line while you're down there.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

63vert Guest
    Hi Patrick-
    Thanks for the note and the links...they were much appreciated. This will be my "Sunday" morning project.

Use a little grease to hold the seal to the sending unit when installing in the tank to be sure it doesn't move.
    Patrick Brown

Make sure you inspect the tank really well while you have it out. If it's full of rust or there looks like there may be spots on the bottom that could rust through and leak, you might want to consider replacing it.

I bought mine from a place called Ponderosa Mustang. It was $130 which included shipping and a new sender unit & gasket. Also, it's 16-gallon instead of 14. It's a Mustang tank but drops right in and all the holes line up.

Drawbacks are...you need to braze a nipple on the top near the filler tube for the vent hose. Have a muffler shop do it if you don't have the equipment. Also, the filler tube is in the center and points straight up instead of slanted from off-center. A lot of people use this opportunity to bring the filler tube inside the trunk. It's much easier to fill and secured. Here's a photo of mine:

http://www.redfalken.com/forum/filler.jpg

Just something to think about. You can buy kits to remove the rust and coat the tank but it's almost as expensive as just buying a new one.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I did the same thing as Kenny.

Here's a photo.
    http://www.patrickbrown.net/forumpix/Fuel_Filler_2.JPG

I made a custom filler and had it chrome plated.
    Patrick Brown

63vert Guest
    Hi Kenny and Patrick-
    Thanks to both of you for the photos.
    As I was under the car, looking up at the tank, I noticed that it has been hit in the back. There didn't seem to be any major areas of rust...but I was thinking along the lines of doing a total replacement. I especially like the idea of having the cap inside, etc.
    Regarding using a Mustang tank, I do have two questions...
    1) does the model year matter?
    2) looking at Patrick's tank (http://www.patrickbrown.net/forumpix/Fuel_Filler_2.JPG) have you hooked up the vent hose system like Kenny's (http://www.redfalken.com/forum/filler1.jpg) since the photo was taken?
    I am still planning to remove the tank this weekend and have a look. Even if I can just get a month (or two) from the existing tank I would be happy.

My vent is like Kenny's except I used a -6AN weld on fitting and braided stainless line for that cool race car look.

All 64 1/2 - 73 Mustang tanks will fit. The earlier tanks are 16 gallon and they get bigger as the year progress up to 22 gallon. Your 63 tank is 14 gallon.
    Patrick Brown

63vert Guest
    Thanks again for the help. I took the car out for an afternoon spin, I need to do some work on the carb. But it sure is nice to be out and about in the sun!

Lawrence,

I have the old tank from my '65. It is all OK including the sending unit. No leaks or rust. You would probably want to clean it up and flush it good, but you are welcome to it. I am not positive it would fit. Might take a little tweaking here and there. Taking out the old tank and replacing it is a piece of cake. Let me know. 253/847-1564.

Jerry

63vert Guest
    Hi Jerry-
    Thank you for the offer.
    Does anyone know if a '65 will "slip" into a '63?
    Partick states that any year Mustang will work, so I would assume the same to be true regarding Falcons. But Ford may not have made things so simple for me.
    Jerry, I have attached an image of my tank. It measures 32.75 by 24.50, and the picture should give you some idea of how I would like the holes to line-up.
    Also how does one go about flushing out a tank...or is that something for someone else to do?
    Thanks (as always)....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Most Falcon tanks will fit. The Wagons and the Ranchero won't. You need to find an original Falcon tank if you want to retain the factory filler. I'm not a big fan of that personaly. You can use a Mustang tank and relocate the filler inside or have your old filler cusomized to work with the rear filler.

POR has a kit that you can use to restore old gas tanks. It works well but I se this more as an option for cars where you can't find new tanks.
    Patrick Brown

Patrick is correct the tank I have will slip in exactly. It is the same measurements and it looks a hell of a lot better that your old one. So come on down anytime give me a call and let me know when. 253-847-1564

Jerry

awesome info, thanx.. my guage doesnt work, and my tank is kinda beat up. now i know what to look for for a replacement if i cant find a falcon one around these parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

63vert Guest
    Hi Jerry-
    I haven't forgotten about the tank. I was focused on another issue which turned out to be very simple. I will give you a call tomorrow (Wednesday) and try to set something up really soon. Also, if I remember correctly, you have done some polishing of the stainless trim. Would you mind if I brought a piece or two along to show you?
    Talk to you soon.