Thread: Tilt steering has to much play

Tilt steering has to much play

Finally got around to tearing my tilt column apart today. I noticed it was getting worse this summer. Flat out scary driving it on a rutted HWY. The nut that holds the u-joint together had backed off. I’ll post some pictures when I get it cleaned up and start putting back together

1965 Hardtop, 289, Top loader, Torino power disk brakes, Tilt steering, 2 speed int wipers

Mike Spears

FINALLY getting around to working in my tilt column. I upgraded the pins for the jaws. I guess they are notorious for working there way out. Upgraded to longer E clip style
    Attached Images Attached Images

1965 Hardtop, 289, Top loader, Torino power disk brakes, Tilt steering, 2 speed int wipers

Mike Spears

I also discover my column was a Tilt / Tilt away. The Tilt away was disabled but they did not do a very safe job of it. The put a little epoxy on the tilt away pin and called it good. I tapped the hole and installed a set screw to push on the pin I cut down. A little loctite and it’s never going to move.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike Spears

As usual - looks like fine work. What steering column is this from? OEM or aftermarket?

Also - any word (yay-nay) on the parts we PM'd about?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"