Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

It seems like the 3M stuff is pretty expensive, and I assume the Ford stuff about the same- AND I have to go find it, order or get to a store. ...by default I'm just thinking the other way on this one...any reason I can't just use the typical household bathroom or exterior window caulking? I don't see why that wouldn't work fine and I already have a bunch of that in my garage...or is there somethiing suitable I can get at Home Depot when I buy the plastic? (and if I ever need to go back in...I'll still have tubes in my garage and probably plastic left over too.).
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    It seems like the 3M stuff is pretty expensive, and I assume the Ford stuff about the same- AND I have to go find it, order or get to a store. ...by default I'm just thinking the other way on this one...any reason I can't just use the typical household bathroom or exterior window caulking? I don't see why that wouldn't work fine and I already have a bunch of that in my garage...or is there somethiing suitable I can get at Home Depot when I buy the plastic? (and if I ever need to go back in...I'll still have tubes in my garage and probably plastic left over too.).
    Home Depot has the 3M Super 77 (essentially the same product I use) in a 16.75oz spray can for $9.99, check your local store when you get the plastic sheeting. That would be my first choice vs a household type caulking, even though it would probably work. In planning for the eventuality of getting back in the door, broken window, worn out regulator, etc. you'd want to use a permanently non-hardening, non-silicone type caulk, anything else would be, more or less, really permanent and difficult to remove (especially silicone based caulking) so you could attach a new moisture shield.

The Ford stuff is non-existent, long since out of production, you'd likely never find any.
    Phil

Phil, you would use 3m super 77 spray for the door shields? Seems messy.
    I'm probably going to run down to wesco next week to buy some clips...might they have the right stuff there? (Or something "rope" like?)

On the outside locks (including the one for the trunk), are there supposed to be pads or seals that go behind those or do they go directly onto the paint?

Finished the heater and a quite a few other little things...three steps Forward and only a couple backwards today...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

A couple pics of the heater...
    Meanwhile...the 6 heater clips I need are $2.50 each!!
    Today...I already dropped $40 at Harbor freight for little stuff and then another $40 at Orilieys, and I have a falconparts.com list with 6 items on it now.
    Well, my wife has been gone all week and I have eaten nothing but leftovers...maybe I can break even.

Roger...looks like that carb part isn't going to fit. The two main studs on mine are bigger, and the hole for the pin is also a different size.

Anyone know who sells the rubber boots on the back of the front turn signals?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dhbfaster; June 13th, 2015 at 11:00 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Phil, you would use 3m super 77 spray for the door shields? Seems messy.
    I use the "pro" version (3M8088) all the time, works well, sticks well, can remove easily later without destroying the moisture shield. I don't have a problem spraying it on. If worried about overspray, tape some newsprint along the outside edges or use a piece of cardboard as a blocker and set the nozzle at the narrowest setting.

It's the only product I ever use for moisture shields whether vintage or modern vehicle.
    Phil

Roger...looks like that carb part isn't going to fit. The two main studs on mine are bigger, and the hole for the pin is also a different size.
    Missed this Don. That's a bummer. Studs can probably be smaller without an issue - or tapped to a larger size. I assume yours maybe had 3/8" studs and mine used 5/16"? The pin on yours is bigger or smaller threads? Apart from these things was the rest OK? Flange sizes and bore? Center to Center spacing on the log and on the carb? I'm pretty sure if they are the other issues are not hard to address. You can't hurt anything by trying.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"