Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel tank '65 station wagon

joe demoruelle Guest

fuel tank '65 station wagon

OK I've been looking everywhere for a replacement gas tank for 1965 station wagon. Good Grief... they are excluded from everything I've seen. Where can you get one? The one I have was installed upside down so that the filler hole was on the right side.... gas spilled out every time I turned right! AND the sending unit was upside down also, so the fuel guage read empty all the time.
    There must be one out there.

They are available new. I bought mine from maryland mustang it was off ebay.. They will run about 250$..
    There is a gas tank.com place that sells the exact same tank for Near $500..

I think the tank was made by American design out of canada..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I've not seen them listed for the 64 and 65 wagons -- only the 60-63. I see those everywhere. Is this really for the 64/65 wagons Nathan? From a Mustang house?

Assuming there is something we're missing here, does anyone know what, if any, difference there is between the 60-63 and 64-65 wagon tanks? Can any of you 60-63 wagon owners crawl under and take some measurements? I'll measure mine up tonight. Knowing this may help us 64-65 owners know what mods are needed to adapt the earlier tank.

FWIW, my tank appears good (knock on wood), but I have always lamented they don't appear to be repop'd for the 64-65 wagons.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Are you saying you can't use quick reply? I just used it here, though normally I only use Post Reply.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

joe demoruelle Guest
    I've learned that the F-55B is for the Falcon model while the Futura model takes the F-28B. If this is correct it might clear up peoples problem who are looking for a gas tank. The F55B has the filler hole in the middle, while the F28B has it on the left side.

But Joe, I believe all wagons have their filler-neck on the drivers side quarter panel and the fill neck on the tank is on the drivers side too (obviously) and about a foot from the rear of the tank. So I don't see this as being a Futura model, or not, issue -- unless I'm missing something. I don't see how the model has any bearing on this, since that's trim-level stuff.

I'm going to take some very detailed measurements tonight of mine, which is not a Futura wagon, and maybe Jeff or Nathan can measure up their wagons (both are round-body wagons) to see how they differ.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Here's some pictures with measurements from my wagon. Perhaps some of you other wagon owners can do a comparison from these.

I also noticed a fitting on the top of the tank I never noticed before. Is this a potential vent? I have no vent hose on this tank and everyone I ask has a vent hose going somewhere. Question I guess would be, if I hooked up a vent tube, where does it go safely so as to not overflow or vent into the car?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; June 7th, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I didn't jack up the car to get nice pictures like Roger.

My 1963 tank is a bit smaller but the major difference appears to be that the pick-up tube and sending unit are on the side of the tank rather than on the "front" as on Rogers 1965.

I don't think it would be too big of a project to "make it work" with some modifications to the wiring and routing of the pick-up tube.

NOTE: My tank is a repop installed shortly before I bought the car. This may not be the OEM configuration although the plumbing looks untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post

I also noticed a fitting on the top of the tank I never noticed before. Is this a potential vent? I have no vent hose on this tank and everyone I ask has a vent hose going somewhere. Question I guess would be, if I hooked up a vent tube, where does it go safely so as to not overflow or vent into the car?

Here is where my vent tube routes - jw

WEll darn it, Jeff beat me to the reply by a few hours..

The F55b is listed for 60-63 wagons.. I was mistaken when I thought it covered up to 65.

Yes I buy my tanks from a mustang vendor.. pretty sad when a mustang vendor sells gas tanks for falcons cheaper than the falcon vendor.

You can order an F55B from O'reilly's but you will be paying alot more than what the mustang vendor wants for it. plus shipping if the tank isn't in the local warehouse..

Jeff, already pointed out the major difference is the location of the sending unit..

I agree with a little plumbing and a little wire extending you could probably use the f55b.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I didn't jack up the car to get nice pictures like Roger.
    It hasn't been on the ground in about 4 months.

Jeff, is your tank just undercoated or is it fiberglass? It's certainly not shiny like mine is now (yes, I fell prey to the curse of another "while I'm at it" thing and pulled the straps, blasted them, and am now refinishing the easy-to-get-to parts of my tank with Eastwood TankTone before I drop the wagon to the ground.) Thanks Joe, see what you made me do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289
    I agree with a little plumbing and a little wire extending you could probably use the f55b.
    Actually, the wire runs from the back forward, so it passed right by where that 60-63 sender is. The filler seems to be in the right place, which would be hardest to deal with -- though you may need a longer hose -- or just make sure the tank is shifted hard to the drivers side. The wider tank on mine means the straps and holes for the straps are outbound of the 60-63, so they will work for a narrower tank. I think you could get away with the sender with nothing more than another foot of fuel hose.

So, Joe, I think you may have enough to see what is factory and what you can actually get.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289
    Yes I buy my tanks from a mustang vendor.. pretty sad when a mustang vendor sells gas tanks for falcons cheaper than the falcon vendor.
    I buy a lot of parts from National Parts Depot (for Mustang) for parts on my wagon. Usually a third to half the price of any Falcon vendor for the common-to-both parts. Just curious though, what Mustang uses a Falcon wagon tank? I thought all Mustangs of this era had a drop in the trunk tanks like the Falcon cars do?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"