Thread: Interior parts Questions

Interior parts Questions

Hi Guys,

its been a while since I have written ask my 64 convertible is almost done (Whew!) Full rotisserie restoration included a doner car, a lot of fabrication and tons of patience and a few bucks, but she is almost done. I'll post pictures before and after as soon as I get her all buttoned up.

So, here is the question, I ordered the chrome escuchetsons for each door. Since these parts are made of hard plastic there is no "give" to them, and i am unable to insert the inside door handle far enough so that the retainer clip can catch on the shaft.

I realize that perhaps if I sand (shave) the escutcheons it might work, but maybe there is a trick that I am just not seeing in being able to install these inside door handles......any suggestions ?

I ordered the scuff plates from Mac's Antique Auto Parts and when I received them they are too wide for my car by about 1/2 inch. According to Mac's they are the correct ones, but that just can't be.....any suggestions ?

I had my steering column rebuilt by a shop new San Diego. By all means take my advice and NEVER give these folks any business (Hilltop Classics). They managed to hack up my steering column and have refused to make things right. Now I am stuck with a steering column that has too much play in it. So, who would you guys recommend I get a replacement unit from and how much should I expect to pay for a simple replacement?

As Always Tons of Thanks for all your posts and advise cause I learn something new every day from here.

Erick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Erick - Looks really nice.

So, #1: Did you replace the shaft parts? The come in different lengths.

#2 Are you talking over their length or depth? Can you offer up some measurements of what they sent?

#3 Sort of the same deal... what part did they mangle? The shaft/column? Four-speed car (floor shift) or a column shift? Tranny used?

Maybe we can go from there.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Interior parts question

Hi Roger,

I guess in my frustration I left out the details, sorry.

The shafts on the doors are the stock units and were not replaced, they are the stock lengths. The escutcheon for starters is not round, it's oval shaped sort of, with a slight lip. After looking again it looks like I ordered the wrong part, as it seems to only be for a 1963, here is the link http://macsautoparts.com/ford-falcon...0R3CHL1093805/
    So thanks for making me look one more time, this one is definitely on me. Well one down 2 to go.

On the scuff plates the new ones that i received are 4 4/16" wide (depth) opposed to the original units that are 3 1/2" wide. They are just too wide for the door sill.

The steering column has too much internal play, in other words if you can hod the wheel and put pressure on it as if you are pushung the wheel up or to the sides and there is about a good 1/4" play. It does not feel solid at all, it's almost as if it's missing a couple of center bushings. The car drives fine but the play is totally unacceptable. I've been looking at the Ididit kits but after Hiltop took me for a ride, I am Leary on donating any more money.

Thanks for your help

Some Pics of my project...Just drove it for a full 15 miles since its been back together.....now need to work on the interior details...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty car!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by 2erobrd View Post
    The shafts on the doors are the stock units and were not replaced, they are the stock lengths. The escutcheon for starters is not round, it's oval shaped sort of, with a slight lip. After looking again it looks like I ordered the wrong part, as it seems to only be for a 1963, here is the link http://macsautoparts.com/ford-falcon...0R3CHL1093805/
    So thanks for making me look one more time, this one is definitely on me. Well one down 2 to go.
    OK - For the 64/65 cars they only use a thin plastic disc behind the handle (you don't really see it) and the handle shape is the "cover" for the screws, etc. In 63 and earlier cars they used these plastic escutcheons and they were color coded or chrome depending on the trim level. I did a pretty in-depth interior redo on my wagon a few years ago. You can see pictures of what I'm talking about there - as compared to the interior I just did on the Ranchero, in my "Crazy" thread.

On the scuff plates the new ones that i received are 4 4/16" wide (depth) opposed to the original units that are 3 1/2" wide. They are just too wide for the door sill.
    I don't have a hard-top, but any of you guys with hardtops (Larry perhaps, if you're in-town) can you measure yours? Maybe it would be worth contacting Ron or Rosie at FalconParts.com or any other Falcon vendor. I've bought very few items, if any, from Mac's. They are one of the bigger "we sell parts for 20 makes of cars" and may not have the specialized knowledge you need when something don't fit.

The steering column has too much internal play, in other words if you can hod the wheel and put pressure on it as if you are pushung the wheel up or to the sides and there is about a good 1/4" play. It does not feel solid at all, it's almost as if it's missing a couple of center bushings. The car drives fine but the play is totally unacceptable. I've been looking at the Ididit kits but after Hiltop took me for a ride, I am Leary on donating any more money.
    They may have left one of maybe three parts out. If the gap between the shift housing and the turn-signal housing and the steering wheel are all "seemingly OK" but the wheel wobbles forth and back and up and down (but not in and out towards and away from the steering box under the hood), then the things you have are:

1) bearing just below the turn-signal switch;
    http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...GS-193p528.htm

2) a cone-shaped wedge that acts like the inner race of this bearing;
    http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...ES-193p176.htm

3) a spring that goes behind the steering wheel as it gets installed which forces the cone (item #2) into the bearing (item #1) and takes up all the slop of the shaft coming up from 30 inches below up to the steering wheel.
    http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...GS-193p529.htm

The most likely parts to be missing, which are easy to remove and misplace are items #2 and #3. Pretty simple task to repair with a $10 steering wheel puller and a 1/2" ratchet and a 15/16" socket to loosen the nut and tighten it again. A shame the shop won't look at this - but maybe if you print this out and hand it to them, they will.

Just read the descriptions on the parts pages I linked which will show the purpose/use of each of these parts. Really is a basic setup, but lacking any of these parts, it's a mess. I think you could have a go of it.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; May 14th, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"