Thread: Carburetor Problems maybe

Carburetor Problems maybe

Hi guys..

I've been trying to get Penny running and its not going well..
    I have the tank issue solved so my problem really is something other than bad gas.

Fresh rebuilt 170 with FM2 auto. Stock rebuild except its .030. Carb is a F1100 that I rebuilt 2 times now.
    I believe I have the timing set at 10* BTDC. can't check becasue the car wont idle.
    I checked for vacuum leaks haven't found any.

I used to be able to fire the car up and it would run at a fast idle 1500rpms or so. I had to feather the throttle to keep it running.
    I adjusted the idle mixture screw and the idle speed setting to no avail. I can't get the car to idle..

I fouled a set of plugs so I took the carb apart to adjust the float thinking that was why its rich. now that its back together. It back fires.. So I rechecked timing and adjusted the valves and well now it wont even run at the 1500rpms. It will fire and stay running as long as I don't let up off the throttle as soon as I let up it back fires and stalls.. backfires through the carb..

Any ideas? I'm getting ready to sell this hoopty..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Well I pulled the carb off of the 61 and with a change of plugs Penny fired right up and sounded good..

She would idle at much lower speeds but not quite where she needs to be.. and while I was working on getting her idle right she decided to overheat..

So now I'm going to change the thermostat.. though the one that is in it is new..
    I also discovered that I need a radiator as this one sprung a pinhole leak at the tank seam..
    Explains all the aluma seal I flushed out of it when I had the radiator out of it..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

I think we all know just because it's new (thermostat, starter, ect...) doesn't mean that it's in working order. Sounds like you are on the right path.

Well I have a new radiator it a larger radiator too extra cooling capacity is a good thing.
    I bought the thermostat just because and I'm thinking of replacing the heater core and rebuilding the heater box because I have the cooling system drained.

But I also want to get this car running so I can enjoy it.. so we'll see what happens..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper