Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Quandary

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Quandary

As many of you know I've been working nearly around the clock for nearly a year to get the house where my now-wife lives (just had 1st anniversary last month) ready so I can move there. Technically I do live there too, but have none of my stuff there.

Among the many items on my list has been the building of a garage sufficient to store my 5 pounds of stuff that is currently stuffed into a 1 pound bag (as someone who came to look at Freddie once said). Well, that garage is taking forever to build due to who knows what. I've been trying to hire a drainage engineer for a couple months and nobody seems interested in helping me - for their fee. I really need to get my house on the market, while there is one, and this has forced me to downsize drastically and to do so I am having an estate sale of epic proportions at the end of October. http://www.girlfriendsestatesales.co...d-estate-sale/. I am selling about 90% of my estate; keeping just what I need and letting everything else go. It will be an interesting and yet gut-wrenching weekend. I've got a lot of stuff.

And no, not the Ranchero or my pickup.

In preparations for this I am trying to decide what to do with all the Falcon parts I've collected - or have been left with me post-swap meet(s). I don't want to trash it all, but storage is also not something I want to do either. I may be forced to store it nonetheless since I doubt I'll be able to sell it at an estate sale or get myself to throw it all away. I'm not yet sure all that I have stored up there, but there is a lot of car parts up there. I'm going to make a list and post them here on the forum in the very near future.

Anyway, just posting this so everyone knows why I'm not following up quickly to posts - or participating in club stuff.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; August 14th, 2018 at 11:13 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Tough decisions to be sure, Roger. I wish my shop didn't have all my brother in law's junk in it (most that is never used) or I would offer to store some things here.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Yep, I feel your pain a little, .my last visit I cleaned out the garage and we got rid of our storage unit we were paying way too much for...the cost was more than the stuff in it was worth. I rented a U-Haul truck and at the dump they charged me for 1800 pounds of stuff that I put in the dump! I couldn’t believe it.
    I had a sick feeling about it, but I can’t keep paying for it, no time to Craig’s list it, and no more place to put it all. The reality, I doubt I will miss any of it.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; August 15th, 2018 at 06:14 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Here's an update for what's happening.

1) I've pretty-much moved to the Southern Estate (SE) now. Certainly feels good to have that behind me. Still lots to sort out/through, but no longer pulling clothes out of a box to wear everyday.

2) The Ranchero and my '66 pickup are at the SE now, as well, though there is no garage yet for them. The Ranchero, at least, is under the ghetto garage.

3) It took about 6 weeks of nearly 12 hour days (on average) with nearly no breaks or days off to go through all of the stuff I had, and Lila had, to decide what we were going to keep and what we were gonna sell. Click on the link in the first thread to see an update on the sale, with list and pictures. They added a day to the sale because there was far too much for a standard 2-day sale. Suffice it to say, it is pure insanity there. I can only hope and pray a big chunk of it sells. I am selling some of the equipment I had too, so someone is going to get some good deals. The sale is next weekend (Oct. 25-27).

4) Have been trying for months to get a civil engineer to the SE to get this garage project going, but have had no calls until just about a week ago. The engineer said, "What triggered the need for a drainage engineer is because the building is over 750 sq. ft." After learning what it would cost for their service and the work and all, it took me less that 5 seconds to decide I could easy make due with a smaller garage footprint. So, now awaiting the builder to offer a redesign. I'm a bit PO'd I wasn't notified by [ insert whoever here ] that this was a threshold I could have avoided. 864 sq. ft. and 750 sq. ft. isn't hard to adjust to. Especially now that I'm selling off all the stuff I was planning to use/store.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"