Thread: What was the original radiator?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What was the original radiator?

Did 1963 Falcons with a V-8s originally come with two row radiators?

I read that 1964 Mustangs with V-8s originally came with two row radiators and that three row radiators were recommended as a replacement for additional cooling.

I ask because I currently have a three-row with a one-inch fan spacer that gives me a one-inch clearance from the radiator.

But .... it appears that the car originally used a two-inch fan spacer and that means that the original radiator
    had to have been one inch thinner that what I currently have.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 27th, 2015 at 02:29 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

There is a lot more room between a radiator and fan (technically I mean water pump) in a Mustang.

I'm not sure what a '63 came with. My guess is you could have maybe spec'd it with a heavy radiator, but if that were the case there would have been a part number for it. Finding that parts drawing, like you did for the transmission mount, would probably show it if it existed.

Also, I was digging in the loft for something and came across my bag-o-tranny-mount parts and I actually have a spring with the extra s-bracket... but all the bolts in the bag were the same. So not sure if I'll be able to help much on that one.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; March 26th, 2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added the technically bit...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Radiator replacement question

I want to change my radiator.

Question: When I unplug the transmission lines from the bottom of the radiator, will transmission fluid gravity flow from the transmission and start flowing out the lines?

Or, is the fluid pumped through the cooling lines by a pump inside the transmission? Meaning that fluid will not begin pouring out of the transmission when I unhook the cooling lines (unless I start the engine).

I put a rebuilt three row radiator in my car 2 1/2 years ago and it has been a lemon. I have had it out twice already to have leaks repaired and it started leaking again. Plus, the last time it was worked on, they told me that six of the tubes were plugged with solder and could not be cleared.

Rather than having it repaired for a third time, I decided to replace it and ordered another radiator this past Tuesday. If it is delivered today or tomorrow I can install it this weekend.

I ordered the following from Advance Auto Parts: a Carquest or ToughOne Radiator, Part No. 433259, Product Application: 1963 Ford Falcon - Exact fit for this vehicle. See: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...259/5893720-P# Specifications: Core height 17 ¼”, Core thickness 2”, Core width 16 3/8”, Inlet top right 1 ½”, Outlet bottom right 1 ¾”, Three rows, Transmission cooler, Tube size 2. Price: $137.99 - $20.70 with 15% off code C521+ free shipping = $117.29.

Carquest or ToughOne Radiator No. 433259 7.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 27th, 2015 at 02:56 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

In my experience, only a tiny bit dribbles out of the lines when disconnected. You will want to put some cardboard down to catch the drips (it drips out of the radiator tank as well).

Check the transmission fluid level when all is swapped over and pumped full. It must be a tiny tank in the radiator as I have never seen much of a drop in level after loosing the amount stored in the radiator tank. I would like to open one up some day and have a look.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Ordered one. Great deal.

Their fitment chart is incomplete as it does not show my 65 Rancher0. Oreilly's does and has the same part #.

Yes, you will only get a few drops from the trans. cooler. don't know how much is left in the cooler but will find out soon.

Success!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Check the transmission fluid level when all is swapped over and pumped full.
    The installation of the new radiator went well and without any surprises and without making too big of a mess.
    1-DCP_0073.jpg

It was a little bit more complicated because I have a coolant overflow tank and an auxiliary transmission cooler in front of the radiator, but everything went back together OK.
    Overflow tank.jpg

Hayden 678 Rapid-Cool transmission cool.jpg

I started the car and didn't see any obvious leaks and then took it on a 21-mile test drive. I checked the transmission fluid level with the car warm, running, and in Park and it was at mid-range between the Low and Full marks. The air temperature was 60° and the temperature gauge stayed at one-quarter. The ThermoCap read 140° when we came back home.
    ThermoCap 2470S 13 PSI-SLVR from Amazon for .27.jpg

The radiator did not get hot enough to expand fluid into the overflow tank. The transmission temperature stayed below 160°.
    BMM 80212 Trans Temp Gauge.jpg

Everything stayed cool. The temperatures will be back in the upper 80's this coming week and the real test will be to see how hot it gets in the stop and go traffic on the way home from work.

Note: The radiator delivery box said Carquest, Made in China. Distributed by CQ Sourcing, Inc., 4721 Hargrove Road, Raleigh, NC 27616. CARQUEST Auto Parts is owned and operated by Advance Auto Parts, Inc., the largest automotive aftermarket parts provider in North America. The Advance Auto review site calls it a Ready-Rad radiator, which seems to be the same as Vista-Pro, Go/Dan, Heatbuster, and Proliance. They are all owned by Centrum Equities Acquisition. See: https://trademarks.justia.com/owners...on-llc-193508/

I asked if the radiator was new or re-manufactured:
    Thank you for choosing Advance Auto Parts. A representative will be with you shortly. Thank you for holding.
    Thank you for chatting with Advance Auto Parts and Batteries. You are now chatting with Marge. How may I assist you today?
    Marge: Hello! How may I help you today?
    You: Hello, is the radiator Part No. 433259 a new part or a re-manufactured part?
    Marge: I understand your request. I'll do my best to help you out today.
    Marge: May I have your name, please?
    You: Dennis.
    Marge: Good morning Dennis.
    Marge: This is a new radiator.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 29th, 2015 at 07:29 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

I installed my radiator and then did a clearance check.

The fan would have hit my transmission cooling lines.

Had to drill new mounting holes to lower the rad. and give an 1/8" of clearance.

Always measure and double check for this universal /fits many crap.

Coolant Expansion Tank

Attachment 5711
    Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    It was a little bit more complicated because I have a coolant overflow tank and an auxiliary transmission cooler in front of the radiator, but everything went back together OK.
    Uhhh, ... I am going to make another improvement.

The coolant expansion tank that I have been using for the past couple of years came from Mac's auto parts and was listed as being for a 1963 Falcon. It measured 2" x 12" and holds 20 oz of coolant.

Painted 17.5-inch Fan 2 6-30-15 002.jpg

The trouble with the 20 oz tank was that it was not big enough. When the full radiator got hot, the coolant would expand and overflow from the tank. When the radiator cooled back down it was no longer full.

Yesterday morning I saw a 3" x 12" coolant expansion tank that holds 45 oz of coolant. Oooooh ....
    See: http://www.amazon.com/Speedmaster-PC.../dp/B00SYFU2B0

3-inch diameter coolant expansion tank 1.jpg

3-inch diameter coolant expansion tank 2.jpg

This should work nicely. It will allow the radiator coolant to expand without overflowing. That way, the radiator will stay full when it cools. That will allow the radiator to function at maximum coolant capacity and cooling efficiency.

On an unrelated note: My steering wheel had begun squeaking when the wheel was moved back and forth. This afternoon I sprayed some WD-40 into the narrow separation between the steering wheel base and the turn-signal hub using the soda straw applicator. The squeaking disappeared. Yaaay!
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 30th, 2016 at 07:00 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"