Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water pump help

The 4 bolt damper on the later engines sits out 1/4" farther to line up with the water pumps that use the drivers side outlet. on the early engines that have the 3 bolt damper they use a shorter water pump with the passenger outlet. You can mix and match but will need a conversion pulley that both CRF and March make. What set up are you trying to use? And the timing cover will not change this.

Steve, I have a 93 block with a early timing cover, front sump pan, and the pump is a summit# mil16330, and I cut about a inch out of the crank pully and welded it , also I will post a alum. 4 bolt pully when I find the number...jh

I think this is the one I need [ and maybe you ] to replace the one I shortened..summit # zoops-60121....jh

3/4" radiator clearance sounds about right. That's what I had when I was running the Edelbrock water pump. I'm running a Ford Racing short pump on mine now. The photo shows the difference between the standard post-68 pump and the Ford Racing pump.

Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I have approximately 3/4" fan clearance using a stock water pump, stock fan and a 4-row radiator, but have doubts if that would be adequate if a flex-fan were used.
    Last edited by SmithKid; May 1st, 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I was just looking through the Ford Racing catalog. They offer the 94-95 reverse rotation pump as a kit with timing cover. The part number is M-8501-A50. You would need to mod your pan for a dipstick or drill the timing cover.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-8501-A50/

The standard rotation V-belt shorty pump like mine is part number M-8501-E351S. It fits a standard timing cover. It's not as cool as a serpentime setup but is provides good fan clearance.
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...01-E351S&dds=1
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

OK problem solved. Here is what I found after searching the internet and all your help here.

The early timing chain cover IS thicker than the late model one. The early cover measures: 2.5" front to back and the late model one is 2.25" front to back. So what I found is that there are 2 different types of late model covers. One of them has the boss for a fuel pump and the dipstick but they were never drilled and or cut out. That is the one I had. So solution was to drill out the boss for the dip stick and tap in the stick from the early model cover. Viola problem solved and I can use the stock reverse rotation water pump.
    I will take some pics when I blow everything apart and get it all ready to go back together so you can see the comparison. Needless to say I was very happy when I got home and found I had the cover I needed. I actually found the write up on this from a guys post on a 5.0 into a 65 mustang. Gotta love the internet!!
    Thanks for all your help and input I am sure there are more people than me running into this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    OK problem solved. Here is what I found after searching the internet and all your help here.

The early timing chain cover IS thicker than the late model one. The early cover measures: 2.5" front to back and the late model one is 2.25" front to back. So what I found is that there are 2 different types of late model covers. One of them has the boss for a fuel pump and the dipstick but they were never drilled and or cut out. That is the one I had. So solution was to drill out the boss for the dip stick and tap in the stick from the early model cover. Viola problem solved and I can use the stock reverse rotation water pump.
    I will take some pics when I blow everything apart and get it all ready to go back together so you can see the comparison. Needless to say I was very happy when I got home and found I had the cover I needed. I actually found the write up on this from a guys post on a 5.0 into a 65 mustang. Gotta love the internet!!
    Thanks for all your help and input I am sure there are more people than me running into this issue.
    How early is your timing cover? I have them in my shop from 1965-1974 and all measure the same. never heard of one that was 2.5" Very interesting.

Timing cover is from a 1965 289, that is the thicker one. The other that I will use is from a 1988 EFI 302.
    The water pump for the 1965 motor is 2.5" and the pump for the 1988 EFI is 2.75".
    So if I use the early cover and the late pump I am .25" out too far or is it .50"? I am going to try and pull it all apart tonight and lay it all out on the bench and measure it all and take a few pics.
    Should be all back to the late model 1988 stuff. Just has a hole for the dip stick in the cover now.

Here are the two covers. The silver one is the late model one and the blue is the early one.
    Need to button up the pump and pulleys on the engine and I will put some pics of that when it is done. Also put pics of the covers with the pump on them to show difference in height.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pics, I would not have believed it without seeing it. I have 2 1965 covers and 1 1969 and 1 1974 cover and all measure 2 1/4". Does anybody else have a cover like that?

I have a 68 and it's 2.25, I also have a 64-289 and it's close to 2.5 ....jh

Go figure?? I am just glad my problem is solved. Now to finish putting the engine together and get it fired up. Then time to paint.... The light is getting brighter!!

Can't see from the pictures - but was the timing cover seal height also different heights too - or just the water pump portion? My guess is, as Patrick said, no fuel pump eccentric (or fuel pump mount) on the thinner one?

Learn sumpin' new every day.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"