Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1963 - 1965 V-8 original coil springs

Looking GOOD, Dennis. As a semi-wise man on TV used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together".

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Springs

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Have you considered that the rear springs have probably sagged as well? The Sprint springs should get you to the factory ride height.
    While I was looking at photos of these old cars trying to figure out what their original stance was supposed to be, I came across these two images.

Look at how far down the rear wheels are pressed in this bizzaro 1963 Falcon hardtop advertisement. I've read that the photographers used to stack lead bricks in the trunks of cars to get them to look lower. That seems to be the case here. The rear end is pressed down so far that the fender almost meets the center of the wheel.

1-Wheel cover ad.jpg

And take a look at this drop dead gorgeous 1964 Comet. It definitely sits high in front. I really like the chrome plated steel wheels. Cars used to be so cool.

64 Mercury cyclone with high front end.jpg

1-Support Our Troops in Vietnam.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 28th, 2014 at 03:20 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post

And take a look at this drop dead gorgeous 1964 Comet. It definitely sits high in front. I really like the chrome plated steel wheels. Cars used to be so cool.

That Comet look pretty level to me. The 64-65 Falcon and Comet look low at the rear because of the body lines. Hold a piece of paper just above the wheels to cover everything above the wheels. Focus your attention on the shadow and rocker panel.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    That Comet look pretty level to me. The 64-65 Falcon and Comet look low at the rear because of the body lines. Hold a piece of paper just above the wheels to cover everything above the wheels. Focus your attention on the shadow and rocker panel.
    Hello, Pat.

I looked at it again, and Yep. You are correct. The car is level. The rocker panels are parallel with the ground. The hood is level. The high cutout for the front wheel well, the upward angle of the of the side body indents, and the downward slope of the trunk deck, however, all combine to give an illusion of it being nose high.

It really is a sharp looking car. If you drove one of those down the street today it would command everyone's attention.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 28th, 2014 at 05:10 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I was also going to mention the fact that the cars were level... and then read further. The pre-64 Falcons didn't have the upward body lines, but the unequal wheel opening did do similar things to the eye.

With the flares equal on my Ranchero, I've noticed almost the opposite effect of the rear looking high, when in fact it isn't. Don't gauge this from my Sig photo - the back end was high in that photo. I had installed a set of Monroe Sensa-trak's on it (they come with coil-over helpers) - plus it also had new leaf springs, which made for a very stiff and high ride. I took these off immediately (anybody with weak rear leafs need a zero mile set of these, cheap?) and have also added 2" lowering blocks to get the rear-end down and appearing equal.

In general, most Falcons I've seen are front high. Not appearing so, but actually are. Maybe this is due to leaf springs sagging faster than coils? Or perhaps they sagged equally over time, but most Falcons (by now) will have had front-end rebuilds and changed coils (while we're at it), but would never consider this for leaf springs. Who changes leaf springs, just because? But leaf springs flatten over time as well.

That Comet is sleek, I agree. Worked on one in high school (my friend's) - a Caliente' - and he was driving it to school one day and someone pulled out in front of him on our 'country roads' south of Sacramento and he ended up in the ditch upside down. I can still remember the picture someone took of him sitting in the seat, all scrunched down, like he had a chop-top Comet. It wasn't. It was a flattened-top Comet. The car was toast.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"